Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need some advice >

Need some advice

Notices

Need some advice

Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Put it up on ebay, gets a lot of free advertisement. You may not sell it in an auction, but it may give you contacts. Then you need to list it on this site and BOATTRADER. Your boat would be entry level, and having it on boattrader will hit the right market. When I do boattrader I opt for the magazine also, you would be suprised on how many indivisuals still don't use the internet to search for vehicles. They go to the gas station and buy an issue and see what's within driving distance. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree I sell a lot on ebay, use craigslist also...but bigger items ebay seems better for me...Rob
Old 02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Put it up on ebay, gets a lot of free advertisement. You may not sell it in an auction, but it may give you contacts. Then you need to list it on this site and BOATTRADER. Your boat would be entry level, and having it on boattrader will hit the right market. When I do boattrader I opt for the magazine also, you would be suprised on how many indivisuals still don't use the internet to search for vehicles. They go to the gas station and buy an issue and see what's within driving distance. Good luck!
All good info. I think i will do the Boat trader for sure. I have never bought/sold anything from ebay, I do however get on there and look at things all the time.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a boat on craigslist, been on for a month and have only received a one call and an email or 2.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I would forget about using NADA as any sort of gauge as to what a boat is worth. Look on ebay first and try to find some comparable boats to your size, make, power and condition to see what the asking prices are. Try to find comps in your area. The big thing is with ebay buyers is location and transport costs to figure in to the price. List your boat with as much detail and as many pictures as possible. Clean the boat and have it ready to go. The better it looks in the pics the better chance of a sale. You wouldn't believe how many people list things with dirty lousel pics and expect realistic bidders. Price it fair and be honest and you should make out OK. 20ft is really a starter boat and only you know how much you have invested. A 2003 should bring a decent price if it's ben cared for etc. One thing for sure is a boat that hasn't been maintained is going to show it for sure. Especially a salt water boat. Thats my 2 cts worth.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good luck selling boats and motorcycles on eBay. Start your bids at $1.00 (make the reserve at the absolute lowest you are willing to go). Put it up for a 7 day auction, making sure you schedule the start time of the auction for early in the evening on a Friday or Saturday. That way when the auction ends, in 7 days, it will end when a lot of people are on their computers. A mistake a lot of people make is they jump on thier PC at work and immediately list their item. Problem with that is the auction will end 7 days from when it was listed. If listed in middle of a work day, there is less chance for last second bids... If you do list on eBay, don't get discouraged if your item doesn't hit the reserve right away. Your ad will have the most exposure the day it is listed and the day it ends as eBay offers the customer to sort by "newest listed" and "ending soonest". Also tell the truth and point out ALL flaws with a pic. It also helps if you have good eBay feedback! I am sure the fact that I am an eBay powerseller with 500+ all positive feedback helps bring my eBay motor sales a little extra $$. If you don't have solid feedback, have a friend that has good feedback list it. Also Lots of Pictures. Here is an example of my last boat listing. I set my reserve at $3,000 as that was all I really needed to get out of it. I strated biddin at $1.00. I ended up $1626 over my reserve. Keep in mind eBay charges $125 when your boat sells. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2819&viewitem=.

Nada value for the boat is just for the boat. You can look up a "generic" value for your boat trailer through NADA.com, however it is NOT brand specific. Also keep in mind NADA base value is for the "base model", if you boat has an upgraded engine, cockpit cover, etc. these all at value to your NADA value.

Craigslist is free so it can't hurt to list there either.

Last edited by low_psi; 02-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll try to help ya out with my answer. I bought my current boat (20 Outlaw) off of EBay sort of. I had decided on a 20 Outlaw and looked on all of craigslist using http://www2.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi which you can search for something on all of craigslist and Ebay in one search. I looked at a ton of 20's at the $13K to $25K range when my dad stumbled upon mine. We were looking at one I'd found 3 hours from home on a saturday when he told me about this one which was only another hour drive away. It was listed on Ebay with a buy it now price of $20K. It is solid red (rare), has every option, and in mint condition. The deal clincher was when the tach said 17 hours on it. He ended the auction early and monday afternoon I brought $20K cash and headed home with it.

Yes, I paid a premium for it considering I could of picked one up with 300 hours for $13K but I got one thats essentially new for alot less than it stickered for new. Color combo, hours, condition, and being as stock as possible will be what determines what it'll go for. Btw, white with blue flames is by far the most common color combo that is on the used 20 outlaw market so lots to choose from with those graphics which sucks for sellers.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 02-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is priced right you should have no problems with craigs list. You will save $ on the fees. Late last summer I sold my Crownline the first week. It might be slow in Feb. but it will pick up quickly with warmer days. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

I listed my boat with Boattrader, powerboat listing.com, craigslist, and sold it on ebay. I tried the others and was reluctant to do the ebay thing but it was on there 7 days and SOLD! A guy came from Ohio to Virginia to get it.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
Look up NADA then list it for 80% of what it shows retail (or about 5-10% below base trade-in).....be lower than the others and leave little neg. room in your price. You need to get people to come see it, then they might buy it. (this is exactly how I sold my 382 last month)
Russ, I didn't even know you had it for sale, time to move into that 400ss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.