Imron Paint Removal

Notices

Imron Paint Removal

Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imron Paint Removal

Hey All,
Anyone had any experience with removing Imron paint graphics from a boat? Working on a 95 Fountain. Just want to get down to white. Pretty sure it can be sanded and buffed but was curious if paint stripper would work better and not damage the gel coat. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Kid Cumberland
Hey All,
Anyone had any experience with removing Imron paint graphics from a boat? Working on a 95 Fountain. Just want to get down to white. Pretty sure it can be sanded and buffed but was curious if paint stripper would work better and not damage the gel coat. Thanks in advance.
NO PAINT STRIPPER!!! It will distroy the gel and fiberglass..

the safest way is to wet sand and buff or have it soda blasted,then wet sand and buff..
Old 03-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

So no on the Multistrip stuff that is supposwed to be safe on Gel coats?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Registered

Default fixx

So no on the Multistrip stuff that is supposwed to be safe on Gel coats?
anything that softens paint will soften other stuff too,if you use it it will probably leave a outline of the graffix's..
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered

Alot of people on here say easy off over cleaner works great. You may wanna do a search on that
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsbillets
Alot of people on here say easy off over cleaner works great. You may wanna do a search on that
There are a couple thread about using oven cleaner to remove paint, BUT WEAR PROTECTION it ate the Hell out of their hands!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The white gel under the paint will be a lot brighter and you will be able to tell where any graphics were before.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey All,
I used the Multistrip to remove clearcoat. It worked slow and did NOT affect the gel.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

I have used Multistrip with no effect on the gelcoat. Works slow and effective. How the stripped area compares to the rest of the area is depedant on how much fading has taken place.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered

i have painted hundreds of gel/ carbon/ and kevlar race cars w/ imron. the stuff is really quite amazing. i had limited success with any kind of stripper because the stuff is like steel plate but by the same token, never had gel coat damage w/ the strippers either. and griff is right about whats underneith anyway . personally i think i would try the stripper because the new products may be better than anything i ever used but i can't see you getting away without the shadow anyway.

i would be surprised if it could be buffed off and still have your arm intact. that paint was developed for aircircraft and is incredibly arbasion resistant. before i started using it , the cars would come off the track after the 24hrs of daytona with the noses sandblasted right thru to the kevlar. after i started painting them w/ imron, the cars would finish and you would just take a rag full lacquer thinner and wipe them off and they would look brand new. quite amazing stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.