Oil Pressure >

Oil Pressure

Notices

Oil Pressure

Old 04-21-2002, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excalibur;

I have a fresh Pro 632 Merlin with similar parts, its fresh due to similar probs you are experiencing...you have likely lost you pick-up as I did. (I thought my electric gaffrig had a bad sender because of the erratic readings I was getting) Here are my current oil pressures at various times, (mechanical gaffrig) Start-up 75, running 50-55, idle with Hot Oil 20-25, sometimes see 15 @ very low rpm (650). As others suggest I would add a couple of quarts to see if that helps, if so your pickup is laying in the pan. IF this is the problem, RE-BEARING your motor, mains and rods. Its very cheap insurance to avoid larger problems later. ( I didn't insist this from my builder when I lost my pick-up and it cost me $4500.00 and 8 weeks last summer.) Keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Excalibur

Ok guys,tell me what happened.I bought a new wix filter this time and installed it,normal oil level and pressure is back to normal.The oil filter bypass was removed at one time and i think the filter failed.Pressure is back to 75 at idle and reves to 90 cold.
60 warm to 75 when revved.The oil did have a little gas smell but i noticed when i removed the filter it was like nothing was going through it,same old used oil as in the block originally.thinking of buying factory oil filter housing and installin filter bypass like block was originally intended to have.if filter fails then pressure will still be there.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

Wow! That is great news. I never get that lucky. I have a slightly suspicious pressure on my port engine and will change the filter and hope for the best. Good luck to you,

BT
Old 04-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=18759

Your scenario sounds just the same as Greg's.
Maybe you could get him involved in this thread.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

If you have a remote oil filter be sure that the flow is in the proper direction, meaning that it is plumbed correctly. It is easy to mix up the lines going to the filter if it was off during the rebuild. The oil is supposed to enter the filter from the outside and return through the center hole. If it is plumbed incorrectly the filter will fail quickly as yours did, some act as a check valve and flow is severly restricted.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Excalibur

No, i am not using a remote system as of yet.Stock location is
still being retained.Thanks though.