1985 wellcaft nova xl >

1985 wellcaft nova xl

Notices

1985 wellcaft nova xl

Old 03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 wellcaft nova xl

I'm looking at buying a 1985 23 nova xl. It hasn't been in water for four years but the owner runs it every year he says. My question is what to look for? It has a 350 with thru hall exhaust and trim tabs. The only thing he told me that the down trim quit working but still goes up. So I think the trim solenoid is bad but dont know if its all one unit with the trim pump. Other then that the boats in good shape. Hes running a 19 pitch prop Im wondering what is a good pitch for that boat?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stringers under the engine are known for rot..if not been repaired they probably will need to be....ck transome close as well...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I previously owned a 1983 23 Nova XL. Nice boat for it's size. Had the same problem with trim pump .... it was just a worn o-ring. Can't remember what I did to fix it though. I also had through hull exhaust. It sounded sweet. All of the framing for the bench seat was wood & it got wet frequently, so double check that for rot. Also check wiring behind the dash console. The access panel if I remember is in the cabin. It was a nice riding boat for a 23 footer. If you buy it, think about putting on some trim tabs. That was the only shortcoming ... trim tabs. It needed them to keep boat level with people in it & it naturally tilted from the single motor rotation. Nothing fancy ... bennett tabs should work fine. The Alpha 1 drive was perfect for that boat & quite strong enough.

Good luck with it. I enjoyed mine for 8 years. It was my first boat.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That Basically hits all of it right there above. As for your other question, 19 pitch is pretty much right on for all around good boating with the 23.