500 hp valve adjustment >

500 hp valve adjustment

Notices

500 hp valve adjustment

Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 hp valve adjustment

what is the procedure as far as what cylinders and valves can be adjusted at tdc and then rotate and so on. Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

easiest way and not get confused is to run through each cylinder at at time. When the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake. when the intake starts to close, adjust the exhuaust. Takes a bit longer but is much easier IMO
Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
easiest way and not get confused is to run through each cylinder at at time. When the exhaust starts to open, adjust the intake. when the intake starts to close, adjust the exhuaust. Takes a bit longer but is much easier IMO
i agree,this is how i do it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered

Crane cams had the how-to (adjust hyd. valves) step by step posted on their web site before they money issues. I used it,and it worked great. Make sure you go 3/4 turn to 1 turn or you will be pulling the valve covers back off.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 908 Posts

Here is the Crane link. http://www.cranecams.com/?show=techarticle&id=2

It is much easier to adjust the valves before the intake manifold is installed. This way you can actually see if the lifter plunger is depressing at all.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Registered

Here is the most efficient way and also the way I do it. Starting with number 1 cyl turn engine over until the intake valve closes then go another 1/8 turn or so on the crank. Adjust both valves. Proceed to #3. You will only need to turn the crank a small amount, 1/4 turn or so and the intake will be coming off the lobe on #3 and on the base circle. Proceed in this order 1, 3, 5, 7, 2, 4, 6, 8. You will only need to turn the the crank a small amount as you go to each subsequent cylinder in this order until you get to #8. Then you have to go about 1 full crank revolution to get the #8 intake lifter off the lobe. Works every time and doing it after the intake valve closes gives lots of room to make sure no valves are open. You have the compression and power strokes next up after the intake stroke.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Registered

X's 2 on blue thunders method. The other way is to slow. This is how seasoned mechanics do it.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

I use a dial indicator on all my rockers until i find zero lash then pre set the lifter .025..takes longer but i know their all the same..i also do it griiff's way with the intake off,then all the rockers are numbered and double set screwed so they dont move when i loosen them when my motors sit over the winter so theirs no spring pressure on the valve springs..then come summer their already set so i just tighten them up..

Last edited by FIXX; 03-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.