Notices

Eickert exhaust and transmissions

Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Eickert exhaust and transmissions

I finally determined that I would go with the cast aluminium Eickerts for the boat. KE part # 755-8935. When I called Eickert I was told that the exhaust was pretty much designed around a Bravo package and generally would not work with anything that used a transmission. No surface drives, no TRS and no Speedmaster drives. They say this is due to the steep downward angle at the end of the header/manifold combined with the more forward mounting of the engines. Anyone have any experience with that exhaust in any of these apps? My application is actually a 357 Kaama Formula setup and I don't know how that setup measures in comparison to other setups with transmissions.

Last edited by bck; 03-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The standard tailpipes are probably the problem. Performance Stainless has been mentioned several times on this board over the years as having built custom tailpipes for KE Headers. Might want to give them a call and see what they can do.

http://www.performancestainless.net/home
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I figured the standard tailpipes wouldn't work, but they told me they didn't think the header itself would be usable. I would be happy to use the thick rubber exhaust hose from the header to the tips if it would work.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Good Alternate Choice

The KE cast headers are some of the best header manifold designs but if the down angle built into them is a problem as some have indicated, you could also talk to Bob at Dana Marine about their Flo-Torque header manifolds with the spacer riser kit that should get you the drop and angle you need to get from the engine past the transmission length in a TRS type setup.
If you are going to be running them in salt water go for a hard anodized base manifold and then have Dana powder coat them to one of your chosen colors.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Thanks, I will look into them if in fact the Eickerts won't work.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm far from an expert on the KE Headers, but I do know that there are members of this board that have KE's on boats with huge power and drives other than Bravo's.

I cannot post pictures, but check out post 28 on the thread below. Note the tailpipes.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...m-headers.html