Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler

Notices

Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler

Looing to buy a cooler 620-775
Has anybody run into problems with flow on these coolers I see the bypass pipe is only 1/2 seems to be a little on the small side when you run -12 lines to me when you add all hardware together to make a Thermostatically Controlled cooler there a lot going on in that little space I'm looking at the cantonracing oil Thermostatic Controlled module 22-480 - OIL COOLER THERMOSTAT it is all -12
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...tats/?keyword=

Hi-Performance Thermostatically Controlled Combination Cooler, 3" Diameter, 28" Length, 1" NPT Water, 3/4" NPT Oil, & 3/8" NPT P/S Connections - For engines up to 1,000 HP, power steering and engine oil
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I could be wrong on this but I think it balances the oil between the bypass and cooler. I dont think all the oil ever goes through just the bypass line. I have one of the hardin coolers and its worked great for four years.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running the Hardin coolers for 5 years with no oil temp or pressure related problems.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 737jetmech
Been running the Hardin coolers for 5 years with no oil temp or pressure related problems.
What cooler do you run?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dale

Until you reach 9-12gpm nearly all is through bypass. With a bypass cooler, the flow is never going to be 100% in one direction or the other. It's a function of the amount of flow and the fluid opening size. The higher the gpm the more that goes through the cooler if the bypass is open. The throw of the t stat is about .300'' so that's the opening if you're doing area calculations.

As temp is reached nearly all goes thru the cooler as the T stat shuts off that opening. It blocks most of the flow to the bypass.

I understand stock oil pumps are 9-12gpm. Would like confirmation on that. Pressure drop at 9-12gpm on the cooler mentioned is less than 1psi.

You can call us for more information at 248-960-7850

Russ

Last edited by Mr. Cool; 03-29-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

They will always send some oil through the cooler, even when the thermostat is closed and sending all of the oil through the bypass. I have used quite a few of them in the past and although they work, I prefer to use the thermofilter (oil filter mount with thermostat built in). I find that they do a much better job of maintaining a consistent oil temp. and they look awesome on the front of the engine.
Eddie
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

If you do what Eddie says then you just change to the cooler without the bypass and you're golden
Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
They will always send some oil through the cooler, even when the thermostat is closed and sending all of the oil through the bypass. I have used quite a few of them in the past and although they work, I prefer to use the thermofilter (oil filter mount with thermostat built in). I find that they do a much better job of maintaining a consistent oil temp. and they look awesome on the front of the engine.
Eddie
Mean like this Eddie? Lot's of work properly routing all of the lines.
Attached Thumbnails Hardin marine Thermostatically Controlled cooler-new-motor-pics-005-1.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered

Who needs sports illustrated when you got pics like that
Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered

I mounted mine on the transom in my old boat, worked great kept the oil temps very consistent. It does mean running a few extra lines, but no big deal.

Last edited by raeburn; 05-17-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.