Notices

break-in

Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default break-in

I would like to know the significance of my rebuilt 454 enging run on a sim machine at the engine building shop ?

I am near the end of getting all the stuff bolted back on and I am wondering, what if anything, I need to do different, in terms of the break-in proceedure ? What was the purpose of them running it on that machine ? I am well informed on the break-in proceedure but not sure if the engine having been run on a sim machine plays a roll.

I am having the shop do the initial start up and timming and will ask them these questions I just want to be informed before hand.

Thanks for reading this and your input.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they probably ran it to run in the cam, that is not breaking it in, it still sould go through the break-in proceedures.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

I am a fan of running a new motor thru a couple of heat cycles making sure to stay under 4500 RPM or so double checking everything, then I change to a synthetic oil and run em like I stole them.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Deltarat
I am a fan of running a new motor thru a couple of heat cycles making sure to stay under 4500 RPM or so double checking everything, then I change to a synthetic oil and run em like I stole them.
LOL... Same here! I like to bring it up to temp a few times and shut it down and check for any leaks or concerns and let it cool and repeat. Depending on what kind of rings you have this is what I typically do. There has been times when I had to skip step one and assumed it's race day right off the boat launch.

Not a bad idea to inspect your filter after your first oil change just to make sure there's no unwanted goodies in there. Don't be surprised to see some metal/alum. particles though. It's normal.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Do you have a hyd. flat tappet or roller?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

flat tappet

I have acess to rotella oil 40 and 50. It doesnt say 10 w or 15 w just 40 or 50. Which is recomended. I looked for heavy synthetic oil and havent found any yet. i will keep looking. I know I am not to use synthetic for the breakin but would like to use it after. I will keep looking.

Last edited by toolsinbox; 04-08-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You need to break in the flat tappet cam by running the engine at 2000-3000rpms for about 20 mins. Use the 40wt Rotella for break in.

Running it on the dyno/sim will allow you to break in the cam and detect any other possible problems before it goes in the boat.