Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?

Notices

Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Using Muriatic Acid upside down under a boat doesn't sound like my idea of fun....
You just have to get a plastic pump garden sprayer and spray the muratic acid on with it and then rinse very well. I just use it at full strength.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree with the Muratic acid. What I would strongly suggest is using a "good" powerwasher, which would have around 2500 psi and 5 gal a minute flow rate. Don't even waist your time with a 3000 psi 2 gallon a minute home depot special. Then use a roto-tip nozzle, it will rip that stuff right off. I've been using a this combo with hot water to remove the bottom paint on my Formula. I've taken about 45% or more off without any chemical at all..
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
You just have to get a plastic pump garden sprayer and spray the muratic acid on with it and then rinse very well. I just use it at full strength.

In theory I agree with your suggestion.......However, before you posted this idea I was already one step ahead of you. I diluted some Muriatic acid into a spray bottle and began to spray on a small area. Even if there is no wind, where I am at, the air is still moving. Ask me how I know this. Thankfully I had safety glasses on, but I ended up with a light mist (didn't even feel it hit me) of the acid on my face. If it burns your hand immediately, you can only imagine what it felt like on my face. So given this, even if I was on the other side of the slight breeze, it would be carrying the acid to other peoples boats. So I am going to skip the spray bottle and stick with a brush.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The pump garden sprayer really does not create fine mist like a spray bottle will. You could also use a something like a sponge mop on a handle or paint roller.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

we just did my 311 to remove stains and after the acid wash compound the bottom and then a coat of quality wax and let the wax stay for overnight before wipe down and then another coat of wax ..... the acid seems to open the pores in the gelcoat and letting the wax sit lets it soak up into the gel ....
Attached Thumbnails Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?-p1000413s.jpg   Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?-p1000414s.jpg   Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?-p1000415s.jpg  

Bottom Surface Scrubbing off Speed?-p1000417s.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

I will try the garden Pump sprayer, as your right it won't create that fine mist. (I didn't read your post correctly. I saw plastic sprayer and after my face burning immediately rulled it out).
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a garden sprayer and do a 50/50 mix with muratic acid and have another small spray bottle with straight acid in it for the tuff spots.Use bondo plastic scrapper and try not to use the razor knife because it cuts the bottom. The bottom is going to have to be sanded and buffed when your done. I hope for you that velocity used some decent gel coat or you will be reshooting the bottom.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Registered

I have had to deal with that growth before, scaping/sanding is about the only thing that seemed to work for me....its a pain
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, a garden hoe is the marinas tool of choice for removing barnacles such as those. Just knock the corners off the hoe with a grinder so as not to gouge the gel.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Registered

or a large drywall knife, but what is left is what you have, in most cases on slow big boats they just leave what you have left and paint over a relaunch...going to take some serious work to get it back smooth again..that crap is unreal tuff !! good luck Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.