406 Still Giving me a hard time. >

406 Still Giving me a hard time.

Notices

406 Still Giving me a hard time.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle Fever
Cubic give it a rest, its not helping with the guy's issue. Oh and to answer your they all use the same bolts comment. They do not! There are differant part #'s for 350 virses a 400. If I am wrong I guess ARP packages all the the same bolts in differant packaging with differant part #'s for the fun of it. Just because the size and thread pitch is the same they are not all the same. Oylsan Sorry for the pi$$ing match on your post. Hope you get it fixed and have a great summer. Pete
No pissing contest here... just lending my experience from many years of engine building and operating a machine shop, that he'll be fine with no dowel.

Feel free to post the ARP part numbers specific to "with or without dowel pin", or specifically "for internally or externally balanced engines"
Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Arp 200-2906 Arp 200-2902
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Registered

Arp 200-2906 Arp 200-2902
See page 63...

http://www.arp-bolts.com/catalog/catalog.html

One is for V6's and all V8's with two piece seal, the other is for V6's and all V8's with one piece seal. The only difference is length.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Yes but those engines are also "internally balanced". Like I said do it right or you will be revisiting the same issue. Or take some of the advise of the other posts, but you better use alot of loctite and good grade eight bolts.
Dude! i worked for gm for many years,never had issues on any car or truck that didn't have them..Fact we don't even have one on the race car ( 740 cid and 4 stages of nos) flywheel has not come off.....

i always use loctite and the factory grade 8 or arp bolts then torqued to the proper specs..

Last edited by FIXX; 05-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the replies. I understand that not using the dowel pin may be a risk, but in this case I'm weighing that against getting the boat back in the water this summer. If I pull everything and have the dowel replace I could very well miss the entire season. With my schedule I have limited opportunities to work on this thing, so I'm going to put it back together, run it for a season or two, and repair it in the off season in a couple of years. I will try to get the correct bolts.

This is a relatively mild 406.

I sure hope it stops raining eventually so that I can get back to work. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress?

I just finished and dynod mine Thursday.
Im amazed at how much grunt you can get out of these little mills for the money they cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYE_gwoQcZ8

Hope you get it going.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered

It's running like a champ. At least in my driveway. I plan to button it up next week and take it to the Lake next weekend.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Glad to see you have it running!

And not to add to the pissing contest but... mine uses studs. And these were factory from GM. I have used them on my 350 and a couple of 383s. No issues.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by olysan
It's running like a champ. At least in my driveway. I plan to button it up next week and take it to the Lake next weekend.
Any updates?? It's been nearly a year... Surely it's sheared all of the flywheel bolts by now...