External Steering question >

External Steering question

Notices

External Steering question

Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Steering question

i'm installing external steering to my 96 35 Sonic. just doing an add on system for now. I bought a couple used parts from some members here, and one of these parts was a bazil valve that was already modified and included the hyd lines that go to transom fittings. (pic below)

When i looked at my boats current steering, my setup doesn't look like what i bought. it is possible I have a saginaw setup? everything i read said after 94 a brazil was used. The one thing I find wierd is that I have (2) cables that come from the helm and go into my steering valve. all the ones I've ever seen before (including the used brazil valve that i bought) are only setup for 1 cable.

I was thinking of eliminating what I have and using the Brazil setup that I bought, but it wont work with my 2 cable system. Is there anyway around this, or do I need to use what I have on the boat now, and buy the adapter for a saginaw system ?

used brazil that i bought...... (i dont have a pic yet of my current setup)

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Sounds like you have factory installed internal hydraulic steering..look under your dash at the helm,if theirs hoses connected to it it may be hydraulic..
Old 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost positive they are not hyd hoses coming from the helm, but rather cables. when I unscrewed the big nut holding one of the cables to the valve, no fluid came out.

I'm attempting to pull the whole unit out and will be able to get pics, but I cant get to the locking tabs on that bottom nut where the unit pivots. spent hours on it already with no success. going to try different tools tonight.