Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 mpi problem!!! HELP!!!!! >

502 mpi problem!!! HELP!!!!!

Notices

502 mpi problem!!! HELP!!!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the same pump as the pump thats in the vst pump, just doesnt have to be submerged like the vst...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those pumps are not designed to suction that well, that is likely your issue. I have a spare VST complete if you need it, or you should add a boost pump to the set up you have, maybe the mechanical that supplied the VST? That is how the 500 EFI works.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

This engine has a host of sensors that control virtually ever aspect of it's operation. I have the manual for mine and in the trouble shooting section first thing it always says "Did you run a diagnostic scan for codes" I am in the process of finding a dealer qualified to work on mine. I 'm begining to except the fact that I can't fix this one myself.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered

Guys Please Help!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is the non-scan diagnosis for the sensor system. Let me know what else you need.
Attached Thumbnails 502 mpi problem!!! HELP!!!!!-scan0001-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg   502 mpi problem!!! HELP!!!!!-scan0002-%5B1024x768%5D.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by stlliberator
Guys Please Help!!!!
electric fuel pumps are designed to push fuel not suck! with it being mounted @ the transom that's a long distance for it to suck fuel then pressurize it for the 50psi fuel pressure that the engine probably needs. it could run @ 45 psi, like griff said get the rite fuel pump and mount it as close to the tank as possible and as low as possible so the pump don't have to work as hard to maintain the fuel pressure needed..i would go with a aeromotive,make sure you put a filter in front of the fuel pump,you don't want to jam it up if theirs crud in the fuel tank..
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Registered

I have the mechanical pump hooked up to push the fuel to the fuel pump itself.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stlliberator
I have the mechanical pump hooked up to push the fuel to the fuel pump itself.
That sounds weird... What size line are running from the mech pump to the elec. pump? It sounds like you might be starving the electric pump for VOLUME of fuel. That big line going into the elec. pump is needed to supply the pump with enough fuel.

Aeromotive recommends putting the pump as close to the gas tank as possible. Do you have access to the gas thank? If you're hell-bent on running the elec. pump you might want to move it to the forward most position in the engine compartment, as low as possible, and mount it before the mech. pump.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
That sounds weird... What size line are running from the mech pump to the elec. pump? It sounds like you might be starving the electric pump for VOLUME of fuel. That big line going into the elec. pump is needed to supply the pump with enough fuel.

Aeromotive recommends putting the pump as close to the gas tank as possible. Do you have access to the gas thank? If you're hell-bent on running the elec. pump you might want to move it to the forward most position in the engine compartment, as low as possible, and mount it before the mech. pump.
That's how Merc does the HP500 EFI, mechanical pump pulls from the tank and feeds the pressure pump in the cool fuel box. If you read that manual page I posted it says the warning system will cut 4 cylinders at 2800 and then restart them at 1200.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted G
That's how Merc does the HP500 EFI, mechanical pump pulls from the tank and feeds the pressure pump in the cool fuel box. If you read that manual page I posted it says the warning system will cut 4 cylinders at 2800 and then restart them at 1200.
Do you know what size line they use though? I can see it working if its a really big line... And, doesn't Merc use the fuel pump mounted on the raw water pump to do this, or is that just in the Gen V mech pump negation GM blocks that they use this in? If they always use that pump it seems like its a much heavier duty pump than the block mounted pump, but I could be wrong...

Maybe its just my experience with Aeromotive pumps and the volume of gas that they need (and big pick up tubes) that skew my thought process on this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.