Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   cost to polish imco lower? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/231853-cost-polish-imco-lower.html)

Smoothsix 06-02-2010 06:26 PM

cost to polish imco lower?

what do you think it should cost to have a imco -2 lower polished? thanks

Irishtornado 06-02-2010 11:40 PM

IMCO wouldn't waste your time you'll have to polish it ever time you go in the water if you start...Leave it satin and just hit it with acid once in awhile if you want the bright look.

fireboatpilot 06-03-2010 10:33 AM

I've heard that polishing the lower could actually slow you down? It was the rougher surface of the satin lower that allowed the water to be released from the metal as it passed over it. The water would actually stick to the polished surface thus slowing you down? Is this possible?

CB-BLR 06-03-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot (Post 3126189)
I've heard that polishing the lower could actually slow you down? It was the rougher surface of the satin lower that allowed the water to be released from the metal as it passed over it. The water would actually stick to the polished surface thus slowing you down? Is this possible?

Actually...

The water molecules stick somewhat to the rough surface creating a thin skin of water. The water passing around the drive then is slipping over a thin layer of water... water slipping over water has less drag than water slipping over metal.

You can see this by the fact that submarines (and dolphins) have a semi rough surface to apply this principle.

I have seen the polishing of a lower unit loose 1-2 mph.

Chris

Smoothsix 06-03-2010 11:21 PM

what kind of acid to keep it bright do you use ? thanks

Griff 06-04-2010 01:11 AM

Muratic acid. Don't use all the time though. Just when it gets pretty dull.

Smoothsix 06-04-2010 06:21 PM

just wipe on and wipe off ?

JasonSmith 06-04-2010 06:26 PM

I use SOS pads with the soap in them instead of acid. You can buy em at the Dollar General & they work really well.

tmdog 06-04-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smoothsix (Post 3125652)
what do you think it should cost to have a imco -2 lower polished? thanks

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, go ahead and waste it. Smart money says to use something other than polish.

Smitty 06-04-2010 09:09 PM

I mix 2 bottles of Sno-Bol toilet cleaner with about 1.25 gallons of water and I spray any areas of the glass that is loking dingy along with my satin lowers. Let sit for a few minutes and hose off. Drives look like new and the glass is pure white. Just don't do this on concrete or it will look white also :)

I agree that polishing the lower will actually increase drag and loss of speed. I have sanded/scuffed the bottom of my boat to make it rough and it has actually gained speed at all rpms.