Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Fuel Problem >

Fuel Problem

Notices

Fuel Problem

Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at reviews on these pumps and they are not real good. Do you know of a lot of people running these. Just dont want to get a bad one and be stuck on the water.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

I'm running one. Have 30+ hours on it and no issues. Don't know anybody else here running them, most of the guys I know are running EFI.

Where did you see reviews on this pump? I didn't see any when I looked.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

remove the check valve at the tank and check it,it has a ball&seat and a spring,they can and do cause problems like you have.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apollard
I'm running one. Have 30+ hours on it and no issues. Don't know anybody else here running them, most of the guys I know are running EFI.

Where did you see reviews on this pump? I didn't see any when I looked.
I ordered one last night, saved me some coin! I owe you a few beers-shots. Got plenty of paint! Haven't pulled water pump/fuel pump system off yet, I'm hoping the finger on the pump is wore out and not the cam on the shaft. Lost fuel pressure at high rpm, been chasing high rpm miss for a week and a half. Every thing ignition wise is good, only thing left is fuel. Should had it straight a week ago, but time has been my enemy..............................Rjr............ ..................
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

I just searched for airtex on google and it came up with reviews
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Interesting. I searched for airtex, airtex reviews, and airtex fuel pump and got an amazon page for an EFI pump (4 stars rating) and a chevy EFI pump that some people complained about and some said worked fine. Nothing on this pump, but I only went a couple of pages deep on each search.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Registered

This Airtex pump is only rated at 40 gallons per hour. Is that enough fuel for a 454 mag? or even a 330 HP 454?

I did a check on Autozone's site for fit, and any BBC vehicle I choose states that it doesn't fit (maybe because it's a marine pump).

The Holley marine mechanical pumps are rated at 110 gph and 130 gph for BBC. That's a big difference between 40 gph and 110 gph.

What is the original fuel pump rated at?

-Bill
Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Not sure where you got the gph rating for that specific pump, but:

Assuming a brake specific fuel consumption of .5, a 330hp engine needs 165 lbs / hr of fuel. Even using a typical outboard engine (or turbocharged engine) BSFC of .6, you need 198 lbs/hr. 40 GPH is 224 lbs/hr. So the pump would be fine.

Using the old rule of thumb of 1 gph / 10 hp (which is conservative for todays engines), the pump would support 330 hp with ease.

The 400+ hp Ford 427 used a stock pump rated 40 GPH (at pressure). Lots of other '60 muscle car engines turned big HP numbers using stock 40 gph pumps - including lots of 454s.

People try to hugely oversize their pumps (bigger is better!), and the aftermarket encourages that. Saying a stock pump will work doesn't sell new parts. The holley pump is rated 110 gph at free flow. Stock pumps are rated at pressure, not free flow (SAE specs). How much does the Holley flow at 6-7 psi? They don't tell you - because it's not going to be much more than the stock pump.

Why do I say that? The stock fuel pump cam gives a set stroke. To keep the dimensions of the pump reasonable and the pump reliable, the width of the pump (and therefore the diaphram) cannot be much more than stock. The capacity of a diaphram pump is determined by diaphram area(for a circle, that means width) and the stroke. You can change the stroke the pump sees by changing the pivot point of the shaft, but there are limits there also - as the pivot point moves out, the force (and therefore pressure) it can develop drops. The ultimate limits of a mechanical pump is designed into the pump mount & cam - and that limit isn't almost 3x the stock pump flow at pressure.

(Note that I am not saying the Holley is a bad product - it's a darn good one, IMO - just that you don't need it to make hp.)

I'm running the Airtex 60932 on a mild 7.4 (probably 350 hp), and it holds WOT (4800 rpm) as long as I want with no signs of leaning out. In fact, the plugs look a little rich.

The Merc pump I looked at at the dealer was an Airtex pump, with the Airtex markings.

And with that, I'm done trying to save folks a buck.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered

Apollard,

I got the GPH rating of the pump directly from the Autozone product information page:
Part Number: 60932
Weight: 1.9 lbs
Warranty: 1 YR
Fitting Size: Inlet - 1/4 in. - 18, outlet - 1/4 in. - 18
Fitting Type: Inlet - NPSF, outlet - NPSF
Gallons Per Hour: 40
Pressure Rating: 7 1/2 - 9 psi
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
Also, thanks for the other information about pumps. I will be in the market for new fuel pumps, so this topic is very current for me. It looks like I will get two of the pumps from Autozone, and paint them Black.

Will this pump work bolted directly to the block (Mark IV), or does it only work bolted to the sea water pump. I have a 454/alpha combo, so I need a pump that will bolt directly to the block.

Again thanks for the info.
-Bill
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wfyehl
Apollard,
Will this pump work bolted directly to the block (Mark IV), or does it only work bolted to the sea water pump. I have a 454/alpha combo, so I need a pump that will bolt directly to the block.
-Bill
Now that I can't answer - mine mounts to the sea water pump. Look at the catalogs to compare the part numbers, that might tell. Mine is a 1994 7.4L.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.