Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Another Holley Idle Thread - I'm at wit's end! >

Another Holley Idle Thread - I'm at wit's end!

Notices

Another Holley Idle Thread - I'm at wit's end!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Another Holley Idle Thread - I'm at wit's end!

I have been trying to get my 850 double pumper set up right, and I am baffled. I have read through every thread on the board, read a holley tuning book cover to cover, and I still can't get it right. I'll try to cover all the bases, so bear with me...

Specs:
468 cid
Performer RPM intake
CMI big E-tops
good performace roller cam, not insane. (don't have the specs in front of me)

Background:

The boat would start easily, and once it is warmed up, idles about 750RPM. If I put it in gear, the revs stay dead constant, but if i try to give it throttle too soon, it coughs through the carb and stalls. If I wait a few seconds for things to stabilize, I can give it throttle without any problems. If I stab the throttle, it hesitates, then jumps right on plane. If I feather it up really slowly, it will plane smoothly. If I try anything in between, i.e. a normal takeoff, it pops through the carb and stalls. Once over about 2800RPM, all is well.

The other piece to the puzzle is when slowing down, I have to pump the throttle several times to keep it running. If I chop it, it will die every time. If I bring it down slow, it dies. I always have to give it a pump shot to keep it alive. The faster I slow down, the more aggressive the shot has to be.

This all seems like a lean condition to me, so I started by pulling the carb off and overhauling it with a Holley kit, just to be sure everything was in fresh shape. The idle mix screws where turned way out, and the primary throttle stop was turned in 2 1/4 turns.

When I reset everything, I set the primary's to about 3/4 turn in, and the idle mix screws to 1 turn out. Set floats to bottom of plug. Seems no matter what I do, the symptoms remain the same. I have to crank the primary idle adjustment to at least 2 turns to maintain an idle, even if I open the secondary butterflies. Iv'e tried richening the idle 3+ turns, doesn't even seem to phase it.

It wraps up easily in neutral, and runs good everywhere else. Sorry for the long post, but I don't know what else to do short of packing it up and taking it to someone. I don't remember the last time I've been this stumped.

-Artie
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Could the accelerator valve be wrong or wrong spring?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds lean to me too. I used to be good with Holleys but its been to many years now......probaly to many beers
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,208 Likes on 581 Posts

What's your base timing?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Could the accelerator valve be wrong or wrong spring?
I considered that, but it already has the big pump on it, and is still acts lean. If is it back at the carb, when it stumble, if I give it a shot of just the pump (no throttle) it recovers.

Originally Posted by Rookie
What's your base timing?
Timing is locked at 34*. Thats the way it came set up.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been a long time also.. But look at the ramps for the Acc pumps, they are adjustable and different colors for more or less, aggressive.
Make sure the throttle plates on the primaries are in the middle of the idle slot.
When you move the throttle make sure there is no hesitation from the squirters..
Make sure the ports for the acc pump circuit is not blocked by a gasket or junk.
If you can slowly ease into higher rpms, and it doesnt cough, but when you do it at any rate, it has to be in the accelerator pump circuits.. Keep looking you will find it.
Dick
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds lean. Might try going to smaller air bleeds for the idle circuit if all seems well mid range and up.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The 850 carb is on the large side for a 468. An 800 would have been much better.
Maybe a lack of vacuum at low rpms and the powervalve may be opening.
Are you setting the floats with the boat in the water????? The angle changes quite a bit sometimes and affects the adjustment.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Been a long time also.. But look at the ramps for the Acc pumps, they are adjustable and different colors for more or less, aggressive.
Make sure the throttle plates on the primaries are in the middle of the idle slot.
When you move the throttle make sure there is no hesitation from the squirters..
Make sure the ports for the acc pump circuit is not blocked by a gasket or junk.
If you can slowly ease into higher rpms, and it doesnt cough, but when you do it at any rate, it has to be in the accelerator pump circuits.. Keep looking you will find it.
Dick
The squirters don't hesitate at all, and I get a great shot as soon as the throttle is moved. The primary throttle plates almost certainly have something to do with it, but I can not make it idle at all if I don't open the primarys. If I try to open the secondaries, it idles way to high, then dies.

Originally Posted by Griff
The 850 carb is on the large side for a 468. An 800 would have been much better.
Maybe a lack of vacuum at low rpms and the powervalve may be opening.
Are you setting the floats with the boat in the water????? The angle changes quite a bit sometimes and affects the adjustment.
I have about 5" at 750 rpm, and the power valve is a 2.5, tested it when I had the carb appart. I did set the floats with the boat in the water, honestly I was hoping that was the issue when I came off plane. I have seen the loading up on deceleration due to poorly adjusted floats.

I have also checked everywhere for vacuum leaks.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will be back on the water this afternoon trying to get it right again!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Registered

I have a 4160 750 vacuum secondary in the shop sitting on top of a 427 ford. (List 3310-3) Would that be a better choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.