Synthetic for an older motor? >

Synthetic for an older motor?

Notices

Synthetic for an older motor?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH
I'm trying to get an opinion on using synthetic oil for my 1989 454mag with over 500 hours. Teague had reccomended using Amsoil 20w-50 racing as a synthetic for marine but is it a good idea for an older motor that's never had it?
A few years back when I had my '91 Baja with factory stock 454's in it I called Mercruiser and asked them specifically, "with all the new different viscosities and synthetic oils that have come out since my '91 owners manual was printed, can I run something better than the standard 40 wt. my manual recommends?" He told me absolutely not, that my motor was designed for that weight (I think he said something about flow characteristics), and thats all I should run in it.

Last edited by suumz; 07-07-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
The RD series product was developed with Teague and his engine manufacturer. After numerous tests, there was no blueing of the cam lobe or lifters, and no signs of skidding. The new RD Dominator Series oils by AMSOIL were therefore developed and tested in marine applications to start with. It is actually a completely different product than the old Series 2000 Racing Oil was. Totally different base stocks, that basically no other company will use due to cost. And since AMSOIL uses the RD base stocks in other products, they are able to market and sell the new oils at a reasonable cost.
Exactly just what are these totally different base stocks that no other company will use due to cost?

Are they, Group IV, V, perhaps a blend of both with some Group III thrown is to still be considered 100% synthetic.

One additive change can make it a completly different product.

As a matter of fact, any oil compounder has a hard time blending the "same" product as in the past because companies like Lubrizol and Infineum that supply the additives to oil companies just don't make the additives anymore.

Different API ratings due to the auto industry, force the additive companies to constently keep changing their additive packages, not to mention the additive technology that comes from Europe.

Ken
Old 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apollard
Every Walmart The local (NC) Autozone has it in quarts and five quarts. Not sure that would qualify as hard to find.
I went to 3 Autozones in West Mi. nothing heavier than 10w 30 in M1.
Actually no one carries 15w 50 around here.
I don't deny that Amsoil is excellent.... just over priced.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CNC
I went to 3 Autozones in West Mi. nothing heavier than 10w 30 in M1.
Actually no one carries 15w 50 around here.
I don't deny that Amsoil is excellent.... just over priced.
the m-1 v-twin 20-50 is sometimes on a motorcycle oil shelf, at least it is in my local store.

They also carry the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 which is a great alternate for you cold weather guys.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't deny that Amsoil is excellent.... just over priced.[/QUOTE]

You've got what, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k in engines, maybe more, and you're worried about price of oil? If it was $20/qt, it'd still be worth every penny!