Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   rooster tail (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/233405-rooster-tail.html)

money455 06-25-2010 08:33 AM

rooster tail

okay i know that i am the "little guy" but i need to know what makes a boat rooster tail cause some day i need that . heres the thing was running the boat on the lake and came across a 30 to 33 foot something was not a cig ,fountain or anything common but had twin engines and yes he walked me but this was not a 100 mph boat he was low seventies tops , but had a giant rooster tail . i understand that trim is what makes the rooster tail but i can trim all i want and never get a rooster tail . is it a twin engine thing or is it a hull thing also i understand that certain props ride higher in the water which i would think would cause a rooster tail . lastly in the future i need a 35 lightning with twin 600's or 525's would this boat"rooster" .

p.s. yes i am a dork

FIXX 06-25-2010 08:49 AM

fIXX

Originally Posted by money455 (Post 3144750)
okay i know that i am the "little guy" but i need to know what makes a boat rooster tail cause some day i need that . heres the thing was running the boat on the lake and came across a 30 to 33 foot something was not a cig ,fountain or anything common but had twin engines and yes he walked me but this was not a 100 mph boat he was low seventies tops , but had a giant rooster tail . i understand that trim is what makes the rooster tail but i can trim all i want and never get a rooster tail . is it a twin engine thing or is it a hull thing also i understand that certain props ride higher in the water which i would think would cause a rooster tail . lastly in the future i need a 35 lightning with twin 600's or 525's would this boat"rooster" .

p.s. yes i am a dork

Hit your trailer button after you max out your trim that will give you a rooster tail ..but it puts a strain on the u-joints..

running a imco -2'' ''shorty'' drive will give you the same effect..

hoozeyurdaddy 06-25-2010 08:50 AM

surface drives will have a roostertail as will jet drives and boats that run the prop close to the surface, there are several different things that can cause that.
depending on the set-up of the fountain, it could.

money455 06-25-2010 09:01 AM

by using -2 shorty drive is there any performance gain on my boat other than a rooster tail , also does help or hurt the overall performance of the boat just looking for pros and cons .

FIXX 06-25-2010 09:12 AM

Fixx

Originally Posted by money455 (Post 3144771)
by using -2 shorty drive is there any performance gain on my boat other than a rooster tail , also does help or hurt the overall performance of the boat just looking for pros and cons .

that would depend how fountain set up your current x dinention..you may want to go to the fountain forum and ask questions their..in most cases you will pick up 2-5 mph,,you may need to go to a bigger pitch prop also when you change to a -2 lower..

FuelinAround 06-25-2010 09:23 AM

Surface drives throw major roosters

money455 06-25-2010 09:31 AM

okay thanks all for the info

chattviper 06-25-2010 09:43 AM

no way to get the rooster tail your wanting unless you do a full stagger set up and 6's on a fountain. I've got full stagger and xr's and get a baby tail but my buddy's 700/6 set up is unreal! good luck.

DollaBill 06-25-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by chattviper (Post 3144806)
no way to get the rooster tail your wanting unless you do a full stagger set up and 6's on a fountain. I've got full stagger and xr's and get a baby tail but my buddy's 700/6 set up is unreal! good luck.

A 42 PR throws a SICK tail even with the 525's. I'm pretty sure your boat was my poker run boat for the 06 season.

88Fount33 06-25-2010 11:54 AM

remove bravo, install Arneson

OK Rik, send my free drives, drop boxes and accessories.