Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Q-Jet  question >

Q-Jet question

Notices

Q-Jet question

Old 05-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World Products makes the Merlin Marine intake with brass inserts all the way around. P/N 063034. Link Might need a Q-jet to square bore Holley adapter.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Registered

DJW
i took off my stock q- jets last year and am much happier with the edelbrocks. i may have a manifold for you too. if you want to see the edelbrocks or the manifold, i live in deepwater.
Fran
Old 05-03-2002, 11:26 AM
DJW
Registered

excaleagle,

What is it that you like about the Edelbrock carbs over the Q-jets?
What intake manifold do you have and do you have two? Thanks
Old 05-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

I have the 330's in my boat (twins)
I bought these intakes (large oval)
Not exact match to small oval but better than the rectangle
I have NOT installed them as of yet but if you call Greenwood, you can pick them up for 150 each plus shipping no hassles
Had them in my hands in 5 days from order date.
Nice that they are polished
They are the exact mold of the performer but nicer attention to detail

Might as well get the same manifold cheaper and polished!!!!
http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/after.htm

Im going to keep my q-jets for now as well but if I switch i was contemplating the 750 edelbrock marine carb == problem is it seems like a rebuilt q-jet so what is the point?
Then Someone told me about the holley and they are good but the Deamon comes highly recommended
You can drop to a 700 deamon and get same perf out of it that you can out of a 750 q-jet or holley
(deamon little more expensive though but dig, might find one used)

Im hoping to gain about 20 hp out of engine with this manifold and new flame arrestor setup.

I cant not answer about the perf gain as of yet cause they are sitting on my work bench waiting for the boat to be finished at the marina and returned so in a few weeks they will be installed and done, Ill let you all know how they do, but for now at least they look nice
lol
Anyway they come with the adapter plate and gasket for the holley conversion and are setup for q-jet so either carb wont be a problem and no goofy spacer deal you have to buy at pep boys or wherever
Give green wood a call, they were cool with me
and the product is really nicely done
Jason
Old 05-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Registered

DJW

you just asked me to open a can of worms. ok. i will give you my opinion. i am in the great minority on the board. lots of people on this board like holleys. few like edelbrocks. the general thinking is, that you get more power out of a holley than an edelbrock or quadrajet. you may see a few hp on the dyno, i don't know. in the real world there is no difference. i have two boats, same engines in each with a spare. i have a holley on the little boat, edelbrocks on the big boat. i have switched carbs and saw no difference in engine rpm's. i like both kinds of carbs. stock holley marine carbs are close to twice as expensive as edelbrocks though. edelbrocks are easier to tune, no power valve to fail. there is a check valve you can put in a holley in case you backfire to prevent powervalve failure. my opinion is that the edelbrocks idle better on stock engines. if you have a big cam you need to have a four corner idle system on that is on a modified holley. holleys do have more to work with for more CFM's later if you need it. edelbrocks you can't get much more than stock if you need it. remove the choke and open the barrels a little.
for stock or slightly modified engines, i would run edelbrock for the ease of tuning and for the price. for high hp engines that would make the battleship new jersey chinewalk, i would use a modified holley or similar version like the demon with a four corner idle system, milled choke tower, and all the other goodies but they get expensive.
again, this is just my opinion. both holley and edelbrock have their good and bad points. and for the price of getting a stock Q-jet rebuilt, i'd buy a new carb. i only have one edelbrock torquer single intake manifold by the way and two rebuilt Q-jets for sale.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to find an Iron late 60's Hi Rise Manifold. Add the exhaust crossover restrictors and you will gain HP. It would be easier to go spreadbore. If you used a squarebore manifold, The throttle would have to be enlarged 1/8" to use a 750 or larger Holley. I just went through this. By the time I bought the carb and the $117 throttle bracket kit, I realized this was too much time and money spent for not too much better results. The rochester carb works well and is easy to take on and off, easy to work with, and will be fine for a 330hp motor. If you are looking for more power maybe you should go large oval port heads bigger valves, Increased compression etc... Big Block Billy