Fuel Pressure Problems >

Fuel Pressure Problems

Notices

Fuel Pressure Problems

Old 07-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drunkstang
OK, I have tried two different guages at the schader valve. So we can say the guage is good... I need a little more info on this screen in the fuel box.. Wether or not I have to clean it or just remove it..
I feel now after the info I am getting on here it could just be this screen. When I do a key on and off test the fuel pressure goes to 65-70 psi , but it bleeds off real quick to around 45psi. I am thinking with the engine running it will not keep up and return the fuel fast enough...
So thanks again, and just a little help on this screen and I will try this when the sun goes down a little. Its hot as hell here in NJ today.. Close to 98.....
See number 16 in this link for the filter/Screen.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ND+FUEL+COOLER

If you bought a new mercruiser regulator, Then it should have came with a new filter/Screen in the package.

I don't think I would remove it, It's there for a reason, Just my opinion on that, But it's your engine so it's up to you on that call.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

leave the screen out, it is pressed into the cooler about 1/4" below the regulator face mount, take a pick to get it out.. you don't need it... the bleed fuel from the regulator goes back to the filter head anyway so it's really not needed...
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Registered

Going to check the screen and remove it in the morning. Ill let you know how I make out.
I did buy a mercuriser regulator and it did not come with a screen... It is the only thing left if the regulator on the fuel rail has nothing to do with it..
What is the regulator on the fuel rail for?????
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mats2
The fuel pressure regulator on the rail is not used to regulate the pressure. So you can forget that one.
Why do you think it has a vacuum hose plumbed to it?

Originally Posted by drunkstang
Going to check the screen and remove it in the morning. Ill let you know how I make out.
I did buy a mercuriser regulator and it did not come with a screen... It is the only thing left if the regulator on the fuel rail has nothing to do with it..
What is the regulator on the fuel rail for?????

To regulate pressure in relation to intake vacuum. But I think it would have to have debris in it to let the pressure up to the numbers you're seeing.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

the rail regulator acts more like a damper since the pump is so far from the rail itself, it needs extra dampening of the pump surge to equalize the rail pressures...
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

Thanks alot Buizilla!!!!!
Took the screen out and everything is fine now... Fuel pressure is at 42psi and does not jump up....