Mufflers for Dry Exhaust >

Mufflers for Dry Exhaust

Notices

Mufflers for Dry Exhaust

Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers for Dry Exhaust

Having a dry exhaust has become a bit more of a burden than I had originally expected. The original Gill system that was used for the regular hp500 was never meant to be used in the upgraded 620hp using a wet exhaust. What I've done so far is put a "terminator" plate on and attempting to make it 10-20% wet. This should quite it down a good amount, but will only be a viable option if I don't get reversion. My next option was mufflers. I called teague marine and they said I CANNOT use mufflers on a dry exhaust application because they need at least 10% water. My reasoning for this was that mufflers contain plastic and the pure heat of the exhaust would melt it and ruin the mufflers. I guess my question is..... is there any truth to this? (the need for 10% water) and are or is there anything else out there that can I do to comply with the legal noise restriction?

I looked at these livorsi's.... it says all stainless steel. Is this a possibility?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o34807-en.html

Thanks guys,
Jay
Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Jay,
I have been running a set of GGB Extreme mufflers on my full dry CMI's for years. They dont make it quiet, but they do take the bark out of it. Unfortunately, GGB went out of business some time ago. Then recently, I heard they are back. Not sure what the story is , but if you can find a set , used, new or whatever... they work well.

Vinny
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going for absolute noise reduction at idle, without sacrificing top end, this is what you need. I have a set of 4.5" tips sitting in the house if you are interested. They are incredibly quiet at idle.

http://www.gibsonmarine.com/turndowns.html
Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

I cant use downturns due to the steering rams. They would undoubtedly hit. GGB Extreme.... How do they work differently as far as being able to be used in a dry system?