New bilge pump not working >

New bilge pump not working

Notices

New bilge pump not working

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bilge pump not working

OVer the winter i did a complete rerig . I added new bilge pumps and blowers, as well as many other things. upon assembling everything I Noticed that the port side blower (new) was not working , checked it with test light , and just figured it was a fluke with a bad motor. I have just now realized that my port side bilge pump (New Lovett) is not working either. It is actually running but kinda quiet , and is definately not pumping. Could there be a problem with ground? I actually pushed water in the bulk head fitting hoping to back flush it and maybe dislodging somthing , the pump actually gurgles a little when doing this , but never pumps anything out...... suggestions ? before having to pull a header and tailpipe to get pump out and inspect......
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the one that is not working, is it grounded? the one that is running is it wired backwards? just a couple of things to look at.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Ah, the joys of working on bilge pumps. It sounds like your pump is running, so it must be getting power. The first thing I'd suggest getting a hose a directing some water at the pump itself. This will do two things. First, it will get the water level up to where you can really see if it's pumping or not. (Most pumps don't work too well with very little water to push.) Second, you might be able to dislodge anything that might be jamming up the pump. Try that first.

Another thought. If it's the older rectangular style Lovett pump, there's actually a small rubber belt that connects the pump motor to the pump impeller. They sell a rebuild kit with all of the parts you'll need if that's the case.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wired backwards..... I thought of that , but the automatic wire is hooked up as well , and have tested them both with test wire.
Ground wire is seperate from the starboard pump and goes up into no mans land....
THis is a brand new pump.
Jesus , if I would have known I would had these problems I would have 5 gallon bucket tested it.
I bought a rulemate 2000 for the other side against my better judgement (got a great deal ) and low and behold it works perfect, like new pumps are supposed to do.