Fuel Regulator Placement?? >

Fuel Regulator Placement??

Notices

Fuel Regulator Placement??

Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Regulator Placement??

Almost done building 496. I will be running a Mr. Gasket 130 gph marine mech fuel pump. Machine shop is recommending fuel log then regulator after carb at end of log then return line back to tank. This completely threw me for a loop as I've learned from here that the reg should go closest point before carb. Which way is best? How does the first method reduce pressure at carb if reg is set up after it?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running the Holley Marine 110GPH .... runs 7-8 lbs no regulator .....runs perfect ... 600hp 496's
no regulator needed ....

http://holley.com/712-454-11.asp

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramos45
Almost done building 496. I will be running a Mr. Gasket 130 gph marine mech fuel pump. Machine shop is recommending fuel log then regulator after carb at end of log then return line back to tank. This completely threw me for a loop as I've learned from here that the reg should go closest point before carb. Which way is best? How does the first method reduce pressure at carb if reg is set up after it?
That's the way fuel injection is setup. The regulator holds the pressure in the line at whatever it's set at and then bleeds the excess back to the tank.This way you will need a return line going back to the tank. I would do it the way you are thinking it should be if I were to run a regulator. I run the Holley Marine like offthefront is using. Works great with no need for a regulator. 505 cu.in 600hp
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-712-454-1/
Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Registered

Thank you both for your responses. I've spent so much time searching this site and the net to figure out whether or not I needed a regulated pump. Every builder I spoke to even people at Summit, CP, and carb shops recommended the 130 which needs regulator. They all said better to overkill than risk lean. I already have the 130 pump on the way. If I get a return style reg I'll tee it into the overflow line. I really don't feel the need to tap a new hole in the tank.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you both for your responses. I've spent so much time searching this site and the net to figure out whether or not I needed a regulated pump. Every builder I spoke to even people at Summit, CP, and carb shops recommended the 130 which needs regulator. They all said better to overkill than risk lean. I already have the 130 pump on the way. If I get a return style reg I'll tee it into the overflow line. I really don't feel the need to tap a new hole in the tank.
Tee'in into to the overflow line sounds kind of scary to me. If you fill your tank you may end up pumping gasoline overboard out that line. Remember at times there will be quite a flow going back to the tank.

I do remember one time seeing a fuel level sending unit that had a fitting made on it to connect a return line to. Just can't remember where. If I come across it I'll post it.

Here's one that tee's into the fuel fill hose.http://www.cpperformance.com/c-500-f...s-returns.aspx

Last edited by picklenjim; 07-09-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think you'll need a return line for that fuel pump using the right regulator ...that pump only rated at 9lbs and you'll need 7-8lbs ....check though ..m
Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

useless....
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea where to find one of these for 1 1/2" fuel fill line?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
useless....
What a waste of time...
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Tee'in into to the overflow line sounds kind of scary to me. If you fill your tank you may end up pumping gasoline overboard out that line. Remember at times there will be quite a flow going back to the tank.

I do remember one time seeing a fuel level sending unit that had a fitting made on it to connect a return line to. Just can't remember where. If I come across it I'll post it.

Here's one that tee's into the fuel fill hose.http://www.cpperformance.com/c-500-f...s-returns.aspx
Fill hose makes more sense, don't know what I was thinking. IF, I need a reg I haven't fully decided on a return style or deadhead. I'm still researching. Everything I find pretty much says deadheading a mech pump doesn't cause any issues as oppose to a elec pump.