Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I just had the gears changed >

I just had the gears changed

Notices

I just had the gears changed

Old 05-02-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only tried Spinelli props on my current set up. I started out with a 27 Spinelli made for me when I was running the standard drive height. I built a 12:1 compression iron head 496" and went with the SS drive at the same time. I know the SS drive made a world of difference in driveability, but since I did a motor at the same time I don't know how much speed it gave me. I am now running a nastier 498" Chev and have only had the Spinelli props on there. The current motor has 13.2:1 compression, fully ported Dart 325 Pro 1 heads, 2.3 / 1.88, Comp solid roller cam w/ 272/280 @ .050" and .714" lift., Jesel rockers, CMI exhaust, and a Nickerson stage 5 1050 on a Merlin intake, MSD ign, WPM full hyd steering, Dooley pan, etc. I have no idea how much HP the motor makes. I am just glad to see someone else going way faster than a 21' made was ever made to go. I love the acceleration of a small boat with big HP.
Attached Thumbnails I just had the gears changed-engine4.jpg  
Old 05-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Brad Perry

Default Nice Motor!

What kind of gas do you run it on? How does it idle?

What do you mean a world of difference in driveablilty?

That kind of acceleration is sweet! I just don't know how long my drive will like it!

By the rpm you are turning and the type of motor, I wouldn't be surprised if you were making more horsepower than my blower motor. Kind of makes me want to rip that blower off and put some new pistons in!

Old 05-02-2002, 06:02 PM
Registered

Default The official fuel of NASCAR

110 leaded at our local Union 76. I picked up 15 gallons the other day and it cost me $52.00. I have a buddy that lives on the lake where I boat that buys it 300 gallons at a time and then sells it to us at his cost which is about $2.80/gal. I figure for what a blower and another carb would cost I can buy quite a few gallons. Before the short shaft the natural bow lift was a little excessive. It would chine walk if you trim it to much, and bow steer if you don't trim it enough. It had a very small sweet spot and it was not easy to find. With the short shaft the boat runs flatter and you can trim it more without excessive bow lift. As far as the idle quality with the big cam it can be a little bit of a pain around the docks, but it's no big deal. I think if the tail pipes weren't under water it would idle much better. On the trailer it will idle at 1000 rpm all day. Drop it in the water and that idle drops a little and it gets tempermental at times. I wish would have dynoed the motor. I figure 700 HP plus as a conservative estimate. I am looking forward to trying some different props and seeing if they stack up to the Spinelli. Let us know how you do with your new gear ratio. My guess you need to turn that 29 at least 6100 to get 100 MPH at 10% slip. Let us know how it does. Drive safely!!
Old 05-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Brad Perry

I wonder if av-gas would work in a motor like yours? Mine idles horribly. I need one of those harpoon guns the navy uses to fire a rope to the trailer 100 yards out and kill the motor and pull myself in! The lurching makes it very hard to handle at the docks. It lurches from about 200rpm to 1600rpm!

The reason I ask about the av gas is that I can get it easily and cheaply near me, but I wouldn't know where to find "race" fuel. I think If I had it to do all over again, I would build a milder version of your motor with more cubes. This is my second blower motor and my fourth motor in this boat, and I have to say that I had the most fun with the N/A motors.

If I hear a loud boom sometime, I may be asking for your combination!

Old 05-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Registered

Default I would not run av gas in my motor.

There is definate difference between leaded race fuel and 100 LL av gas. Av gas is probably good for about 11.5:1 compression. Jdnca1 has a 10.25:1 aluminum head 632 naturally aspirated with 2 quads on a Dart tunnel ram. He is using a very long duration cam. The motor idles at 600 rpm all day long and made a little over 900 hp at 6500 rpm. He runs 92 octane and shows no sign of detonation. His 26 Carerra runs high 90's, low 100's all day long, and he hammers on it. It is really an awsome motor. I would like to build one like his with a single, big Nickerson dominator carb and around 12 to 13 compression. I will save that combo for a safer boat. You must be running a B & M blower to have all of that surge. The guys I know running Weiand and Littlefield don't have that problem.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Brad Perry

Default You hit it on the head,

It's a B&M 420. Knowing what I know now, I would never have bought one. It's too small for this motor. It's turning almost 25% overdrive to make 8lbs boost through a superchiller. Was talking to a mechanic that just pieced together a clone of an HP900sc said that his engine didn't nearly surge so much with a littlefield 10-71. I'm sure the motor would make more power too with the bigger blower. It all stemed from my need to fit it into a small boat. I was not aware a year and a half ago that you could use a B&M pulley setup on other blowers, as that is the only belt system that has a chance of fitting in my boat.

I am at the point now of just trying to have some fun with the boat, as I have spent all of last summer debugging this motor (will NEVER skip the dyno again). Maybe this winter I will either sell the boat, the blower for a larger one, or build a nasty N/A engine like yours!

One thing that did surprise me on the dyno, was how much low end torque this motor made. That really translates into seat-of-the-pants acceleration. You said that your boat really accelerates well too, so maybe this is not much of an issue.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

My boat pulls very hard from 3500 to 5800 rpm. Below 3500 there isn't much going on. I am hoping to get a new boat in the next couple of years. I would like to get into a light cat type hull and build a 540 very similar to my current 496. I like the Cougar 22, WPM 23 with a standoff box, and the 22 Daytona. I think these boats would still accelerate like my Baja and should be faster. They will definately be safer. It will be a couple of seasons before this happens. My wife says when she gets a new house, I can get a new boat. I guess she's the boss. Be sure to let us know how your prop testing goes with your new gear ratio. If the 29 doesn't work out I may be interested in taking it off your hands. I am also planning on trying a 28 Bravo lab finished, and depending how that goes a 30 lab finished. I know CP perf has a pretty good exchange policy so I may just use them until I get what I need nailed down. I need a good spare for my Spinelli since he went out of business.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

Default I saw the want adds...

You must have had a bad weekend. I see you are selling some parts. What ya got planned? Let me guess, bigger blower, dominator carbs, and a cam change. New exhaust too. Maybe you better go back to the 1.36's.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 110 Gas - Maybe you can save a little...

Was reading the posts betweem you and Brad with great interest, I happen to notice that you mention what you were paying a gal for 110. Why dont you drop in at Knolls on route 12,Michigan City and check out your price with them? I havent bought any this year but last year it was costing 132.00 a drum (55gal) The first drum I had to buy the drum, $20.00 from then on just trade an empty for a full one, I dont know what kind of prices they have this year but its worth a try. I still have some left from last year. I just use a little at a time just to make sure that I have at least 93 octane. Hope this helps you. I also have lab 30 and 32 props both left and right that you are welcome to use. just give them back the way you get them, Your small shallow lake scares me!!
Let me know if I can be of any help to you.
eliminator219
Old 05-07-2002, 08:48 AM
Brad Perry

Default Wette vette

I'm not sure yet. The motor seems to be dialed in and running good, but I'm not happy with the driveability of the boat. Guess I'm turning into an old fart!

Pulled the drive and have it over at a shop. I'm afraid that the bad shifting might have done some damage. Will know today.

Quick Reply: I just had the gears changed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.