drive height

Notices

drive height

Old 05-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive height

Ok, I got the drive hung today. It looks like the prop shaft is centered on the bottom of the hull. I have an adjustable extension box, but due to the step and rub rail I can only move it 1/2" each way. What are people's opinons as to how well the boat will plane vs. how it will run with this drive height? The application is on a tri hull single step cat. The center sponson is about 1/2" lower than the outer ones.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Cord that sounds pretty high. If I understand correctly that the propshaft is in line with the hull bottom. I would think it would be hard to plane. A 5 blade prop might be worth a try.

Eric
Old 05-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, that's what I'm fearing...
Old 05-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Most cats run with the X up higher then the bottom that is why they suck to get on plane some times. I would just give it a try and see what happens. If you need to you can get one of those spacers.

Jon
Old 05-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Registered

My experience is with 21 Eliminator O/B and a couple twin engine Chris Cats. Depending on setback and weight distribution, it sounds like you're pretty close. The cris cats ran well even 1"up from the bottom (4 blade cleavers on speedmasters). The eliminator was even higher.
How long is the extension box, what kind of drive? I wouldn't doubt that you could easily run 1-2" up from the bottom with 10" setback, especially with a 4 blade.
Gary
Old 05-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I have a 12" box on. The drive is a bravo with a 2" imco lower.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Registered

I would start with it all the way up and bring a saw to cut your rub rail. Depending on what kind of cat, most of the boats bow lift is going to be genetated by air at high speed, so a lot of trim control is not necessary. Keep raising it until it has problems getting on plane or blows out easily. With that much setback and a notched transom (step?), I think you'll want to start at about 1" above the bottom.
Gary
Old 05-02-2002, 12:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Is there a step on the center pod? I agree with Gary with 12" of setback I think you are going to be way low.
I know on the Chris Cat 2" above the bottom is to low without boxes and 4"-6" with 10"-12" set back.

mike
Old 05-02-2002, 12:11 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cord,
Did you get FireHawks recommendation on the drive height? I would think they could give you some sound advice.

Paul
Old 05-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Really! The prop shaft can be above the bottom? I'm just trying to picture how the water is flowing off the bottom in order for the prop to bite. Here I was fearing that I'd have to go down an inch!

Katdrvr-yes, the center pod is stepped and notched.

PB-Firehawk said that the gimble was cut for 19.5" x-dim. The boat was originally set up to run a blackhawk and no box. With me using the 2" shortie drive and a box, I have absolutly no idea where that puts me for a x-dim. But I believe that the blackhawk would have been another 5" above my current height.

Quick Reply: drive height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.