Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Spark Plug Difference? >

Spark Plug Difference?

Notices

Spark Plug Difference?

Old 05-03-2002, 02:04 PM
MKast

Hi jr,
I understand your point, I agree with it. My question was, why are you guys spending your money on a gimmick plug? Remember the FIRE INJECTOR plugs?
I ran a set of RFs once, had no difference in idle, performance or economy. Someone noted the extended electrode, Motorcraft has been running that extended tip for over thirty years.
I find it hard to believe a RF costs any more to manufacture than an AC plug. I can believe with slick marketing I can increase the retail cost by 400%. Remember, this is "Pet Rock Country".

Old 05-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a article in April 2000 hotboat on pg. 102 that explains the difference in plugs. What I was trying to explain in a earlier post is the AC Delco rapid fire is a protruded tip plug and has the ground strap narrowed down over the electrode,unshrouding it and allowing it to come up to temperature quicker.

I hope this helps. If anyone has this copy of HotBoat,it is a great article with many helpful hints.
It is called Engine Tuning for Maxiumn Performance
Old 05-04-2002, 05:06 PM
Registered

I hear about everyone changing there plugs once/twice a season. Even though $2 a plug is nothing compared to the other costs of maintaining a boat, I feel better throwing away a $2 good plug vs a $4 good plug.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

ARE YOU SURE THE OLD PLUGS WERN'T R43'S.THE MR43'S ARE MARINE VERSION.THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BEING THAT THEY ARE PLATED AND THE PORCELIN IS A BIT SHORTER FOR MANIFOLD CLEARANCE.