If it wern't for bad luck........ >

If it wern't for bad luck........

Notices

If it wern't for bad luck........

Old 05-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it wern't for bad luck........

I'd have no luck at all! I finally got to the point of attaching my new IMCO drive and I had it snugged up and started torqing the nuts down to #50 got to the third one and herd a "pop" This is what I got a blown out o-ring boss! Iny idea's on fixing short of replacement. After inspecting the O-Ring it seems to be thicker than the one on the Port side. Ug.
Attached Thumbnails If it wern't for bad luck........-blowout.jpg  

Last edited by Raypanic; 05-02-2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Registered

That is a very depressing picture Ray. Looks like something was wedged in there. I would probably weld it up then carefully file/dress the o-ring groove to get it back to sealable shape.

Good luck,

BT
Old 05-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

There was nothing wedged in there I'm sure. The O-ring was actually sticking out the side of the drive when it was tightend down. The o-ring is at least twice the gauge of the one in the other drive. I had a fluid leak last spring and I remember the guy that I had fix it said something about using an oversize seal to cure the leak. This was with the sternjack on it so maybe it is from the land and sea kit and would work with it but not the standard drive. dosent seem right though.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:42 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Ray;

I am not claiming to be an expert or claim that I have ever seen this type of damage before but my opinion is that an "O" ring would not cause that damage. I would think that the larger "O" ring would just crush down more. You said that there was nothing lodged between the 2 surfaces while bolting it up, so we can eliminate that. Is it possible that something was binding up with the oil check valve? Does the new Imco drive have the port for the check valve to go into?
Old 05-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Registered

I was thinking more along the lines of something was inadvertently in between the clamping surfaces at an earlier time. Maybe the damage was done before the oversized o-ring was used and that is why the larger seal is present. Rubber cannot push metal like that. Seems like a manageable repair with a good person on the stick. I don't know if JB weld would work or not, but that is another option.

Good luck again,

BT
Old 05-02-2002, 08:51 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I brighten and enlarged it for u experts
Attached Thumbnails If it wern't for bad luck........-blowout2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2002, 09:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks all, I bought a new bell housing from BAM it will be here in a few days, I figured I spent this much money on the drives why take a chance and get water in the gearcase. I will have the old one welded up and repaired. I will then have a spare.

After thinking about it for a while I do remember prior to bolting the drive up I did notice a small area right where it blew out, I thought it was a machining mistake as there was a small area that was missing. Hard to explaine but it was like out of round. It must of been from prior work and I just happend to break it. I took the o ring out and cleaned it and put 3-m adhesive on as per the service ,manual. It must of been cracked from before, and with the additional adhesive and big O-ring it popped out.

The IMCO drive is designed to work with the check valve so I dont see a problem there. Next time I will be VERY aware and watch everything though.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Registered

not that this may make you feel better about coughing up the loot but i think you did the right thing by getting a new one and having a spare. we cut some corners when we can but sometimes it's just not worth it.