Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Correct way to prep new hydraulic roller lifters/pushrods? >

Correct way to prep new hydraulic roller lifters/pushrods?

Notices

Correct way to prep new hydraulic roller lifters/pushrods?

Old 05-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way to prep new hydraulic roller lifters/pushrods?

Well I decided to screw messing with the damn thing and to play it safe and bought new rockers,pushrods and hydraulic rollers. TWO questions.....
1)How do you CORRECTLY prep the lifters? Ive heard soaking them overnight in 30wt. Is this right?

2)What is the CORRECT way to adjust the pushrods?

I know these are simple questions but after what I have went through lately I figure Me the manufactuer or my builder are way off some where...
SO....I come to where I know I can get the straight "dope" (cuz I think someone was on some during my buildup!)

"Bad-Habit"
Old 05-03-2002, 10:21 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soaking the lifters in oil is not the best way to ensure that they fill with oil. I always pump them up with oil by using an ordinary oil squirt can. On the side of your hydrolic lifters is small hole. This hole allows oil to be pumped into the lifter when the engine is running. Just take your oil squirt can push it up against the hole in the lifter and pump oil into it until oil pushes out the top, now it is full for sure.

I feel the easiest way to adjust rockers is as follows:

First take all the plugs out of the motor. This will make it easier to turn the motor over . Next put all the lifters into their bores(after you filled them with oil). Drop 1 pushrod in at a time onto a lifter that is on low lobe. Tighten down the rocker while rotating the pushrod until you feel a drag on the pushrod. Then tighten the rocker 1/2 to 1 extra turn. Rotate the motor by hand to get the other lifters onto low lobe. Do this for all the rockers. The reason for only dropping 1 pushrod in at a time is to avoid cranking the motor over with the pushrods on until you are ready to adjust that valve. This way you avoid squeezing out any oil from the lifters with the rockers only partially adjusted. You are assured of getting a full lifter one at time for adjustment.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have the intake off anyways, I find it way easier to adjust the lash before I reinstall the intake. Easier to rotate the pushrods under the head on the intake lifters vs trying to squeeze your fingers under the very small area under the pushrod guides.

DO NOT use assembly lube on roller lifters, just oil.
Good Luck

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 05-04-2002 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you change Springs? What kind are they? What pressure are they? Sorry just asking from experience. They could of created the problem in the first place.