Perfect start to summer >

Perfect start to summer

Notices

Perfect start to summer

Old 05-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Perfect start to summer

(don't worry, there is some technical stuff buried in here)

Got the boat out for the first run of the summer and it's looking like Paradise in Maryland . Spent Saturday greasing the lift and helping my father-in-law work on the sail boat (it's a lot of work winching him to the top of the mast to work on the wind indicators). Also took the water heater out of the engine compartment. It had rusted out. Will think about putting in a new one it I ever decide to actually use it.

Sunday awoke nice and sunny, but a touch cool yet. After sleeping late (first time in about a month), got up and read the paper.

Around 10:00 went down to fire up the boat (don't want to wake the neighbors too early, you know). Fired the boat and took a nice cruise down to the fuel dock (tanks were both about 1/4 from last winter). First fuel dock had no 93 (pump was broken) so had to go to my alternate. Nice surprise that gas was only $1.89 for 93 octane. Pumped in 140 gallons to bring the tanks up to just under full on the gauge.

Run to the fuel dock went pretty well. Port tab indicator is dead (probably needs a new cable, did the drives last year), but not really a problem as on this monster I almost never use the tabs anyway. Stbd fuel gauge is still flaky, reads about 1/2 tank lower than actual and bounces around a lot. I'm guessing the arm/rheostat is loose.

On the way back opened it up a bit to 4200 RPM. Temps and pressures all held steady. It is running a bit cold (here is the technical stuff, be sure not to miss it). The water is still pretty cold, but the motors (no recirculating pumps or thermostats) are running at 110 degs, and the oil temp is holding at 140.

With the new fiilters (System 1) the pressure stayed at 60-75 PSI at all RPM's (including idle after running), and the oil temp doesn't climb at high speed like it used to. Did see some condensation on the dip stick near the top (about 3-4 inches above the oil full mark), but otherwise nothing unusual. Will chage the oil (it's still from last year) and think my filter problems "may" finally be gone.

Brought the boat back and picked up my daughter and wife. Daughter is 7 and was REALLY pissed when I took off for the first check run without her. Took another nice run down the Magothy to the bay entrance and back. Would have gone farther but it's still pretty cool out when running at speed.

Put the boat back on the lift, flushed the motors, then drained the headers and put the cover back on.

A little later, about 5:00, and I'm sitting on the deck looking over the dock and having a beer and some nuts.

Is this Paradise of what? Next weekend we wil probably take the sail boat out too. With luck the canoe can stay put for this summer.

Hope all of you have a summer is as nice as today - Greg

Last edited by GregP; 05-05-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Registered

Sounds like a nice day for sure.... glad it is finally getting into the season up there for you guys.....
Old 05-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

so that was you torturing me while i was working on my house glad to hear things went well thinking of wetting the checkmate next weekend see ya on the Magothy this summer Rob
Old 05-05-2002, 10:48 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a perfect weekend to me! All except that "Blowboat" thing. You didn't just admit too that did you? Man go back and revise that post..Hurry!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Registered

One needs to keep an open mind and enjoy a variety. I don't particularly care for that sailing stuff myself but then there are blonds that do---and brunets---and redheads---and-------------
Old 05-06-2002, 11:56 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

I don't like sailing at all, never tried it never will. Usually they always snub there nose at us Power boaters as we fly by, not within 100 feet mind you, so too each his own. But remember this is a go fast board!!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:53 PM
Registered

A sad addenudm to my Sunday. I received a call late that night that my brother was in a serious motorcycle accident. Even with all his safety equipment he sustained serious head injuries and passed away the following Tuesday.

After a bit of thinking I realized just how much more important that Sunday boat ride was to me. My brother had been riding for over 35 years, and a Sunday morning (California) ride was his greatest joy. While I'm sad for his loss, he died doing what he loved best and would not have traded those outings for anything, including more years of life but without the fun of riding.

Likewise my Sunday ride, even with his trajedy, was a piece of life to be enjoyed and savored. The boat's nickname of "No Regrets" (given after my fathers death several years earlier) is of even more significance now.

To quote my brother, "while your alive, live".

-Greg
Old 05-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Regrets

GregP, you have our deepest sympathy and we hope only the best for you and your family. Like you said, at least he was doing what he loved. This makes us all relish the moments we have doing what we love so much.
KC Baja
Old 05-15-2002, 06:39 PM
Registered

sorry for your loss losses like this make you look at things in a different perspective. my families prayers are with you and your family.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:34 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Quick Reply: Perfect start to summer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.