496 HO spit belt and puked oil issues!! >

496 HO spit belt and puked oil issues!!

Notices

496 HO spit belt and puked oil issues!!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496 HO spit belt and puked oil issues!!

Hi guys I am having some issues with my 496 which has had me being towed off the lake twice now!!

My 496 is equipped with a Raylar 525 kit and has given me hours of trouble free running until lately.

I have one issue with the CMI E-tops, port side front header tube at idle gets extremely hot to the touch while the other 7 are cool to the touch. As well at idle the temps get hotter. Water flow out of the mufflers at idle is really poor on the port side but good on starboard.

My service shop replaced the impeller and housing, the housing was scored pretty bad. This had sent off the alarms and put the engine in guardian mode. As well the service shop backflushed the system and found some impeller parts from a previous impeller meltdown, I have no idea how long these parts were floating around in the cooling system!!

The other issue I was having at this same time, while running the boat at wot the serpentine belt got spit off so I lost power steering which made me stop to do some investigating...when I opened the hatch the belt was lying in the bilge and there was oil spit across the bottom of the bilge at the front of the engine!!

My service shop could not find where this oil came from!!
Even after a couple of hours or running in the test tank they could not find any oil leaks.
The boat got cleaned up, the belt put on with new impeller and housing, codes cleared out and I was instructed to run it!!

So yesterday we towed the boat to the lake , idle it a bit, still had the hot header tube (has anyone had a header cooling tube collapse not allowing water to run through it??) ran the boat at about 60-70 % throttle for 2 miles and then hammered it for less then a mile when it spit the belt and puked oil all over the bottom of the bilge in front of the motor again!!!
So today I am taking the boat back to have them find this ghost again!!
Anybody have any ideas???
Thanks in advance!!
Mike.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Troubleshooting is an Art!

Hello Mike:

Sorry you are having some problems, but they don't sound unsolvable or super serious.

Sounds like you are having a couple of problems that may not be related exactly.
First, oil on the serpentine belt can and will usually cause the belt to slip amd most of the time jump off the pulleys.

What type of oil is on the pulleys and front of the engine?

Is it engine oil, power steering oil or drive oil from the resivoir bottle on top of the engine??

I would first clean up the engine and carefully locate and type the oil leak and get it stopped. The belt should be replaced after its been to oil contaminated and won't clean up properly. You can check the crank seal at the front of the engine, the area and hoses around the powersteering pump and such and isolate the oil leak.

Whan the oil spread and leak is stopped the belt should stay put.

As for the CMI header pipe cooling issue I would say that does not sound right but I don't have expierence with CMI e-tops for the 496 so I would suggest you call Dave or Joe at CMI and discuss the problem with them as they may be able to shed some info on what you are seeing.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say Ray is right. My guess on the header is that you have a small chunk of impeller cloggin the water flow tube to that pipe. But, I'd still call CMI to talk to them, especially about cracking, etc when it gets hotter than normal.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the outdrive res. cap, if its bad it will leak
oil out the top of it when running in gear.
Theres 7 to 9 pounds of pressure in there.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Just went through the same problem with the same kit and oil is coming from the dipstick tube (blow by) losing the belt every time out above 4000 RPM's. Also running hot for no reason and twice the water coming out of starboard pipe than the port with CMI exhaust. I am sure it is a piston problem in our case not sure why on the exhaust.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

has a similiar problem with mystery oil on my parents van a few years back to locate the problem i wrapped paper towels held in place by zip ties around all of the dip stick tubes and any place else that could allow oil to blow out of eneded up being a dipstick tube in my case
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

There is oil on top of the dipstick but none of it on the underside of the engine hatch so it must be drip from the dipstick and not so much as a spray I would guess.....

The oil seems to be dark, engine or drive oil maybe....not red like the power steering oil....

I have removed the collection tube and all of the little rubber hoses muself and there was absolutely no obstructions in any od these hoses......

I hope it isnt a crank seal.

Any idea why oil would leak out the dip stick tube???

Again thanks for the interest and comments!!!

Mike.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by verbi69
There is oil on top of the dipstick but none of it on the underside of the engine hatch so it must be drip from the dipstick and not so much as a spray I would guess.....Mike.

Blow by, did you check to make sure the PVC line is not restricted ? If so you may have the dreaded 496 piston issue.

Try wrapping a towel and taping it around the dipstick tube on top and rerun the boat. If towel gets oil then that is where its coming from and its a blow by issue.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered

I would vote on piston problem,
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Registered

If you have oil coming out of dipstick it's most likely overfilled. I've done this now twice and it's not an engine problem.

At least mine wasn't. It happened on accident with mine.. I've noticed when I have it much more than exactly full it tends to be a windage thing.

Last edited by SDFever; 08-19-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.