Whipple noise? >

Whipple noise?

Notices

Whipple noise?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple noise?

After running my motor in the shop, I noticed the whipple seems to make a faint "grinding noise" not noticable untill you really get close to it, when I put my hand on it, its seems to feel like its very smooth running. I have never had a whipple so I dont know if thats normal?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Normal sound. It has straight cut gears and thats how they sound. Just make sure to change the blower oil every 25 hours to make it last.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered

Thanks,makes me feel better. Looks like I need to change the oil, any info on how to go about that and what type of oil does it use.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

I use 15-50 Mobil one. Not sure if yours has a dipstick attached to the top plug. If so drain it all out with the lower plug and refill til it shows full on the stick.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Old 08-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

They are actually helical cut gears, and yes they do make some noise. It depends on which blower you have as to which oil it takes. The older 2.3 and 3.3 used Mobil 1 synthetic. The 4,5 and 8.3L use Amsoil Synchromesh trans fluid. The newer 2.3 and 3.3 use an ester base oil. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but you can get it from Whipple or from a Ford or Gm dealer. They use it in the new Eaton blowers found on some sc Ford and Chevy engines.
Oil level is critical. Don't over or under fill them or you could have a gear failure. If you are not sure of the exact level, then tell us exactly what you have and I'm sure someone on here can help. A pic of your setup may help. If you have a dipstick in the blower, then no problem. They only hold a few ounces, so be careful filling it. If you overfill it, then drain the excess out. Good luck.
Eddie