575sci ate a cam lobe.... >

575sci ate a cam lobe....

Notices

575sci ate a cam lobe....

Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's un update...

I have gotten the block all the way down to pretty much bare nothing. Pulled the cam and it was definetly bad. The lifter that was on the bad lobe is about .100" shorter lol. Took a look at the cam bearings and they showed excessive wear as well so I called a friend of mine and we popped the old ones out and pressed new ones in. Prior to doing that, obviously we had to remove the crank and when we did, we inspected the rod and main bearings. All the rod bearings looked good except for the set that was directly below the failed lifter/lobe. That set have some metal go through but no damaged to the rod. The mains looked ok but I will be replacing those as well. Hopefully when the heads are done being rebuild (2 weeks or so), it wont be much longer till this motor is back up and running. Going to start the tear down on the other mill this week.... oh, the joy lol....
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

**UPDATE**

After I tore down the first motor, I decided to sample the oil to see what the zinc and phos numbers were.... SURPRISING!!!

In my hurt motor, the zinc number was 617. I run the Valvoline VR1 20w50.... or I did. There web site says they have extremely high zinc content. This is not high. Also, according to there site, the number should be upwards of double that. I highly recommend anyone running this stuff stop... especially those running flat tappets. I won't be running the flat's anymore but very disappointed in my findings....
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Triple digits
Old 09-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
**UPDATE**

After I tore down the first motor, I decided to sample the oil to see what the zinc and phos numbers were.... SURPRISING!!!

In my hurt motor, the zinc number was 617. I run the Valvoline VR1 20w50.... or I did. There web site says they have extremely high zinc content. This is not high. Also, according to there site, the number should be upwards of double that. I highly recommend anyone running this stuff stop... especially those running flat tappets. I won't be running the flat's anymore but very disappointed in my findings....
Ch!t BIG Daddy that aint no good sounds like your well on your way and good luck ...
Old 09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What cam did you go with Todd?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Registered

I got ahold of several shops but finally settled on a custom grind from RMBuilder (Bob Madara). I ended up throwing away the flat tappets and going full hydraulic roller along with some remapped ECM's... we should be around the 653 HP range prior to the super chillers. Supposedly those add 100HP... but let's say 75HP. So, when the builds complete, we should be pumping just over 725HP on each mill. I'm excited but trying not to goto fast and forget something. Got the first set of heads back from Jimmy Valako tonight after a full rebuild along with some light porting. The boat ran great before and now I cant wait to see what she does.... stay tuned...

Last edited by teamsynergy; 09-22-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsynergy
I got ahold of several shops but finally settled on a custom grind from RMBuilder (Bob Madara). I ended up throwing away the flat tappets and going full hydraulic roller along with some remapped ECM's... we should be around the 653 HP range prior to the super chillers. Supposedly those add 100HP... but let's say 75HP. So, when the builds complete, we should be pumping just over 725HP on each mill. I'm excited but trying not to goto fast and forget something. Got the first set of heads back from Jimmy Valako tonight after a full rebuild along with some light porting. The boat ran great before and now I cant wait to see what she does.... stay tuned...
Way to go on going with one of bob's cams. Should be a sweet setup!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Yeah, even from speaking with Bob on the phone, the technical service he gave was incredible. He seems very keen on building these cams and I'm sure it will rock! So far I am VERY impressed with him!!! Stellar Rep!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered

**UPDATE**
Cams are in, new timing chains/gears installed, heads on and torqued. Degreeing cam's tonight, hope to get pushrod lengths dialed in yet this week then get the valvetrain all buttoned up. Could be a couple weeks till we are dumping them back in the boat but I do see us doing a early november run... damn.... never thought I'd be wearing my snowmobile suit on the boat lol.... pics will follow once the project is complete.

Last edited by teamsynergy; 10-20-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You made a wise choice in dealing with Bob (rmbuilder). You're in good hands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.