Smartcraft SC1000 <-> 496HO and Bravo XR >

Smartcraft SC1000 <-> 496HO and Bravo XR

Notices

Smartcraft SC1000 <-> 496HO and Bravo XR

Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smartcraft SC1000 <-> 496HO and Bravo XR

I'm going to install the SC1000 single display on my boat, and I'm in doubt about the connections.
On one end of the cable, there's only one connector labelled "to engine". I can handle this one...

But on the other end, aside from the same connector labelled "gauge", which is also easy peasy, there are:
A) 2 two wires, one purple (with a female connector) and one brown + blue stripe (with a male connector), with no labels and rubber caps closing each connector;
B) one cable with 3 wires and a connector (smaller than the main multiple ones going on engine and gauge) labelled as "system link".

Any help on A and B would be highly appreciated, even if to confirm that I could forget them.

Just in case it matters, I'm fitting this on a Fountain Fever 27, with a 496HO and Bravo XR outdrive.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, you should be able to just use only the purple ends on both, the helm and the engine. If I remember correctly, there were some extra adapters that you should not need. If you got the one already going to the engine then just plug which ever one will fit into the guage and you're done.

The purple plugs are on the CAN.

It was an awesome day on the bay today!!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
It was an awesome day on the bay today!!
Urgh, that hurts Jason, I'm very envious.
We had some days in a row of bad weather around here...
...that's why I'm playing with these installations!
The Livorsi triple switch will be the next, more about it when I'll have given it a try.

But back to the Smartcraft: many thanks, I did use just the purple multiple connector and everything seem to work nicely.
Apparently, the only thing which doesn't work is the trim indicator. Not that I care about it, having the mechanical one, but I'm curious: maybe the trim position requires some sensor which is not installed on drives fitted with a mechanical indicator?

Oh, and another thing since I know that you also have this display: do you have by chance some measures for the positioning of the gauge on the dashboard?

Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Registered

what version is your sc 1000,do you have the engine oil temp reading if so what years is your engine.you can see the version =it is the first reading that you see shortely wen you power the unit.thank

Last edited by zx14k; 08-22-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mapism
The Livorsi triple switch will be the next, more about it when I'll have given it a try.

But back to the Smartcraft: many thanks, I did use just the purple multiple connector and everything seem to work nicely.
Apparently, the only thing which doesn't work is the trim indicator. Not that I care about it, having the mechanical one, but I'm curious: maybe the trim position requires some sensor which is not installed on drives fitted with a mechanical indicator?

Oh, and another thing since I know that you also have this display: do you have by chance some measures for the positioning of the gauge on the dashboard?

Thanks again!
The trim indicator that the unit is "looking" for is not able to used on this boat. There is either an analog or digital trim sender on the gimble ring but the wires are just tied up in the bilge.

My only option was to turn off the feature in the SmartCraft so that the trim indicator is no longer in the menu.

If you try to use it, the boat can not be trimmed to optimum settings because it's outside what the sender wants to see. It's based on the X Dimension etc...

I have read the manual on the SmartCraft Gauge. I have placed two calls to Merc. I have had no success in being able to reset "gallons used".

If you figure this out, please post. I find it hard to believe that Merc would have made this an item that you can not edit or delete.

Who would want to know how much fuel was used since the gauge was installed versers how much on a given trip???
Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

The trim indicator that the unit is "looking" for is not able to used on this boat. There is either an analog or digital trim sender on the gimble ring but the wires are just tied up in the bilge.

My only option was to turn off the feature in the SmartCraft so that the trim indicator is no longer in the menu.

If you try to use it, the boat can not be trimmed to optimum settings because it's outside what the sender wants to see. It's based on the X Dimension etc...

I have read the manual on the SmartCraft Gauge. I have placed two calls to Merc. I have had no success in being able to reset "gallons used".

If you figure this out, please post. I find it hard to believe that Merc would have made this an item that you can not edit or delete.

Who would want to know how much fuel was used since the gauge was installed versers how much on a given trip???
if wee speak about the same gauge (smal sqare gauge) to reset the fuel go on the fuel used display just push the 2 button on the gauge at the same time shortly.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zx14k
if wee speak about the same gauge (smal sqare gauge) to reset the fuel go on the fuel used display just push the 2 button on the gauge at the same time shortly.
Thanks but I've tried that several times with no result. Could just be my unit...
Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered

Exclamation Correction

Originally Posted by mapism

Thanks again!
Paul, I never wanted to try this due to the constant known failures of the Merc Trim Sensors. However...

If you have Diacom, there is an option for "setting trim limit" within the software. If you want to deal with having the unit wired and working, you may be able to overcome the trim warning/limit by setting your desired limit in the ECM.

But when those things fail due to corrosion (and they always do) this will put your engine in guardian mode solely due to having that display work in your gauge...

Just my 02.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by zx14k
what version is your sc 1000,do you have the engine oil temp reading if so what years is your engine.
Not sure about what you mean about oil temp, 'cause the display does have the option, but I turned it off!
In fact, as I understood from the operation manual (last paragraph of page 17), the oil temp is for outboards only.
Do you mean that it actually works also with inboards?
Anyhow, my 496 is 2006 but the display is much newer, SW version 3.04.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Jason, I already did exactly the same with the trim option on mine.
And also re.your following post, aside from the fact that I don't have the Diacom, surely I don't want to risk to have the engine in guardian just for this reason...
Not to mention that the mech indicators don't really leave anything else to be desired!

Re.the fuel reset, I didn't try it yet, so all I know is what the manual says.
But I managed to configure the total tank capacity of 58 gals, and the display seemed to accept it....
I really hope the reset will work as it should, otherwise it's useless!
Will let you know asap, I won't go boating for a few days unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.