Very odd can a thermostat stop circulation on one side of the engine >

Very odd can a thermostat stop circulation on one side of the engine

Notices

Very odd can a thermostat stop circulation on one side of the engine

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very odd can a thermostat stop circulation on one side of the engine

Ok first off all I have a 454 mpi procharged motor it used to run about 105 degrees without a thermostat that seemed a bit cold so i did some reading and bought a 150 thermostat drilled 3 small holes about 1/4 inch bit boat ran much better and is averaging about 150 degrees which I thought is just right. but for some reason one side of the engine is running really hot melting the exhaust bellows upper and lower and also my reverse shifter cable today. this is the second set i installed on that side it burned them out a couple weeks ago replaced them went to the lake today same thing so i took off the thermosat while i was at the lake and it ran about 105 degrees all the way back to the dock can anyone explain why only one side is doing this? is this the reason procharger says not to use a thermosat? but at only 150 degress why so much damage? im thinking its being restricted on water flow on that side would the thermosat do that ? any help would be great thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No clue, couldn't read your post because I was distracted by your avitar.

Ok, seriously so it only happens when you have a thermostat in place? For starters I would verify water flow out of the manifold, unhook the hose from the thermostat housing and flush it out. Do both sides and compare the water output. Or possibly swap the manifolds from side to the other.

There could be some kind of cooling obstruction and the increased water temp with the thermostat in place that is causing the melting bellow. The 45* temp drop w/o the thermo may be enough to prevent the bellows from burning up, but seems like its way too low of a temp for an MPI...

Last edited by c_deezy; 08-30-2010 at 03:18 AM.