Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How quick can a MSD blue box die? >

How quick can a MSD blue box die?

Notices

How quick can a MSD blue box die?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How quick can a MSD blue box die?

I have a friend with a slingshot. has to wesco 700s in it. had the complete msd setup (distributor, coil, box, rev limiter). have allready replaced the starboard control box this year. was running yesterday. people on the beach said that they thought one engine was breaking up. running 5k rpm and the star dies. shift into neutral and she fired back up. ran for another 2 minutes then died again. tried to pop back off. now no spark. i have read past threads saying that electrical noise is not good on that circuit to the box. the box is wired directly to the starter power terminal and grounded to the block. i did notice that while cranking the starboard engine it interrupts the stereo system. not on the port. the stereo is huge. containing many speakers and subs. is this killing the box? should i find another power source? should we just get the red box and install that capicitor thing? this box has less than 10 hours on it. and i run one in my outlaw. i do not want it to go down. cuz i dont have another engine to limp home on.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always have a spare ignition box on board. It’s an easy swap if you use quick connects.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

what kind of connections did you use (bullet or spade)? where did u get them. i am going to want a good quality connection at the box.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Registered

Weather tite connectors

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900403/

I bought a kit for $50 and use them for everything electrical.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered

i am a tech at a ford dealer and that is a good idea! i will use some 2 cavity connections we have.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Registered

X's 2 zt260!! How quick can 1 die? Just like that. Msd reminds me of the old ford boxes from the 70's. Better carry spare cause your gonna be DRT. Dead right there.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Registered

Im gonna send out the blue box for warranty repair. for now i'll install a red box with the capicitor thing. keep the blue for a spare. and install a good weather packed connection on the power and ground circuit to make quick in need changes possible. thanks again for the idea zt. i think i may have to go to those gm style connections. they seem to offer lower gauge wire (thicker) to meet up with the what looks like 12 gauge wire from the box for its power and ground. i am also going to install the capicitor thing on my boat.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I always have a spare and connect them right to the battery terminals with a fuse.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems to be a connection with big stereos and blown boxes. Those boxes don't like their voltage jumping around.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Red box is never gonna hold up to the vibration. The blue and gold ones are potted. I run 2 700 series MSD marine boxes and so far 4 seasons never an issue. I have no stereo though if it matters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.