Fouling #2 on BBC >

Fouling #2 on BBC

Notices

Fouling #2 on BBC

Old 05-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fouling #2 on BBC

I put this post out when I had the engine on the stand. 454 Mag. Was having a problem with #2 fouling after about 2 hours of run time. I checked everthing... piston rings, cracked piston, bad intake seal, bad valve (got valve job), head gasket.... thought I had it when I found a small crack in the intake runner going toward the lifter galley. Nope. All back together and running great except I need to keep cleaning this plug or it starts fouling/missing.

Any more ideas?

BT
Old 05-06-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

no body seems to use them anymore, vaccum gage will tell you a lot and it is quick and easy .
Old 05-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Florida... they used to call me "vacuum man" because I could figure damn near anything out with a vacuum gauge. Musta been having a brain fart on that. Thanks for the reminder!

Any other input?

BT
Old 05-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

hi BT,
did you check the ignition system too? cap and wires. is it definitely oil fouling the plug.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it isn't the carb. bleeding down and fouling the plug out???
Old 05-06-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

I had one a while ago that did the same thing, #2 running rich/cold. I tried different carb, intake, head, never did find the problem. But, and everyone can laugh now, I stuck a splitfire in it and a hot coil and never touched it again. As far as I know, that engine is still running.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Registered

No Excaleagle... I don't know that it is oil. When I had the motor apart though there was oil in the exhaust manifold. Really thought I fixed that.

Gearhead... I rebuild the carb since and still have the problem. Before my last outing last weekend I moved the plug and wire to number four and fours to number 2. That should define if it could be ingintion related.

Formula... I actually thought about changing the plug because it is only fouling on 1/2 of the plug tip... why do you think that worked for you?

Thanks,

BT
Old 05-07-2002, 06:05 PM
Registered

It didnt really fix anything and it still showed colder tha the others but it never fouled or misfired again so I ddint mess with it anymore. Engine made good power. I tried a smaller jet in that corner but then #4 got too lean so I left it the way it was. An engine guy tried to convince me it was because the #2 cylinder runs cooler (water flow or something) than the rest but Im not sure about that theory.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Registered

Thanks formula31... I'm gonna go there and the vacuum readings.

BT
Old 05-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Registered

BT, my thinking was; i know you said you had the heads done, but if you didn't have the cast guides changed to bronze inserts, it is possible to have a hairline crack in the valve guide where it meets the head.
if in the end you don't find the problem, a plug extender although not a cure may work to keep it from fouling as fast.
Fran

Quick Reply: Fouling #2 on BBC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.