Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What causes my dip stick to pop out???? >

What causes my dip stick to pop out????

Notices

What causes my dip stick to pop out????

Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes my dip stick to pop out????

I am working the bugs out of a Paul Phaff engine swap in my Force Offshore. The engine still has a minor ignition issue and runs a little rough (cuts out and/or on/off at speed), so I will be replacing the thunderbolt distributor with an MSD setup. Other than that, everything is pretty sound, no backfires to speak of.

The problem I have is the dip stick will pop up about 3 or 4 inches after a full throttle run and mist oil everywhere. Is this a sign of bigger problems?? Or am I not venting the crankcase properly?? Any advice??
Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

your getting some major blow by in the crankcase from the cylinder there. I had the same problem a few yrs ago with a turbocharged import i had (130,000 miles though). dipstick popping up and blowing oil all over the engine bay. within 6 months, i had half compression on two cyls. and you just had this rebuilt?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could be the venting ,what breather/PVC etc do ya have .

Mine would do it, I put a puke take on it with #12 lines and no more problems.

I seen some engine builders put a spring to hold it ,band-aid it

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Rob
VIP Member

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...eathers-2.html

Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Registered

Nothing going to the air cleaner at this point. The valve covers both have breathers built in, I figured they were good enough to vent the engine. Where should I put a PVC on the engine?? There is no provision for one in the valve covers.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by xsboost525
your getting some major blow by in the crankcase from the cylinder there. I had the same problem a few yrs ago with a turbocharged import i had (130,000 miles though). dipstick popping up and blowing oil all over the engine bay. within 6 months, i had half compression on two cyls. and you just had this rebuilt?
Thats a scary thought!!!! No, not rebuilt. Swapped from another boat. Suposed to have just 50 hours on the engine. I will check compression and see where shee is.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered

yes, doing a comp test will be sure to tell you alot and get you to a starting point on if you need to vent the crankcase differently or if your looking at a total rebuild. good luck man!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a leak down test would tell you alot more than a compression test sounds to me like the rings are not seated correctly or the vents are plugged up better breathers will probably take care of the problem
Old 08-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Rob
VIP Member

another thought ,to much oil maybe aerating it and building crack case pressure.Does it have a aftermarket oil pan /dip stick,are ya sure of the oil level?

What size/kind on breather ya got? if its blowing out the dip stick it should be blowing oil out the breathers also.

ya don't have to have a PVC.

do what Ebay Ed said ,do a leak down, that should show a indication of blow by.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the leakdown test...tell for sure...50 hrs does not mean s#$t can blow one up in 2 or less...if the leakdown comes out ok a PCV will help..converted all my engines over to it like HP500 runs, keeps the engine cleaner..they run the valve in the intake base behind the carb..I used the valve covers on all of mine...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.