Questions about fuel pumps ? >

Questions about fuel pumps ?

Notices

Questions about fuel pumps ?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about fuel pumps ?

I have a Gen V 502 EFI. I have had some starting and running issues of lately. This summer has been a hot one here in Central Ohio. I thought I might be dealing with Vapor Lock but then I'm thinking it's maybe something else. Let me tell you of my experiences here.

Sometimes after cruising at idle for long periods (wake zones ect.), I go to get up on plane and my engine sounds like its running out of gas and dies. I float for a while and she eventually will start up again.

Also at different times when I go to turn the key to start ,,,sometimes I hear the alarm (which is normal) , and somtimes I dont hear it. I know everytime I turn the key the alarm is suppose to go off. Even sometimes the alarm goes off but sounds like it's sick (for lack of a better word).

And sometimes when I turn on the key I hear the fuel pump priming and sometimes I dont.

My belt for the mechanical pump is tight and OK and I replaced the Fuel Filter with a new Mercury Marine Filter. When I replaced the filter I took the old one off and poured the gas into a glass jar and let it sit to see if water was present. No water what so ever was there .

After putting on the new fuel filter I turned on the key to start it and all it would do is crank over. I did this about 20 times thinking I had to get gas to the new fuel filter filled. I could not get this started . So I let it sit for a week. I tried to start it again and the same thing happened ,,,no start. But eventually it did start and run OK ( in the driveway,,,not boating ). I let it sit for another week and now it wont start again.

My question is if my high pressure fuel pump has gone bad do they just stop working or do they sometimes work and sometimes dont ?

Im guessing it has to be some sort of an electrical issue linked to the fuel pump , especially since I have that key alarm intermittent issue.

Any ideas as to what I need to check out as far as electrical to determine what might be causing all this ?

Sorry about the long post ,,,just frustrated here.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first, next time you change water fuel seperator fill it up at least 1/2 way with new fuel. inspect the check valve coming out of the tank it might be one issue. my fuel pump wasn't getting enough voltage for full wot pressure traveling thru the stock electrical system so we hooked up a second silanoid just to power the pump. you can put a gauge on the fuel rail at the schrader valve and run it thru the rpm range and see if your getting steady pressure. if there are any drops at all this could be the problem... mark
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx Mark ,,,I'll check those things out and report back my findings.