Rebuilding a Glastron/Carlson CSS-19 and need recommendations >

Rebuilding a Glastron/Carlson CSS-19 and need recommendations

Notices

Rebuilding a Glastron/Carlson CSS-19 and need recommendations

Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a Glastron/Carlson CSS-19 and need recommendations

I'm in the process of rebuilding a CSS-19 that I found neglected in someone's backyard. I've always loved the looks of these boats and I got it cheap so I can afford to dump some money into it. So far I am in the process of rebuilding the floor and transom. The stringers seem good.

My question is about the power. It was originally a carbed 350mag with an Alpha 1 outdrive. I discovered the engine to be siezed and the condition of the rest of the drive is unknown.

I would like to get some more power out of the boat to possibly get into the 70's.

So here are my questions:

Is it worth rebuilding the original engine with modifications for more power or should I just swap it out with a crate engine designed for more power? I believe the original rating for this engine was 280hp. I think I would like to stick with a small block for fuel consumption but I am open to suggestions.

Also, should I change over to a Bravo 1 setup if I am looking to add more power or would the Alpha setup work for me?

Is it worth it to switch to MPI or should I stay with the carb setup?

I know alot of these questions have no right or wrong answer but I would appreciate some recommendations to get me on the right path here.

Here are some pictures of the boat as I first found it.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

awesome boat! I would put a 383 stroker motor in it,
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by captain girt
awesome boat! I would put a 383 stroker motor in it,
Is that something I can rebuild the original motor to? I don't know much about the I/O's. I've always been an outboard guy.

I was planning on stopping by one of the local machine shops here to see if they have any reccomendations on rebuilding the stock motor. I'd imagine that the tolerances on a marine engine are much different than an automotive engine though.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Registered

you could buy a 383 stroker motor from mercruiser remanufactured for about 9,000$, or you could build your 350 into one with a 383 stroker kit for less money, all it is is a 350 block and pistons and 400 crank and rods. running a 383 stroker you will be close to 70mph. 1f you just rebuild your 350 you have will be the cheapest route but youll only do 60mph

Last edited by captain girt; 09-13-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with the 383 w/vortec heads, good cam and a performer RPM air gap intake, leave the alpha..70 ??? doubtfull....maybe with a 125 shot !! but neat boat...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your next week link will be the alpha drive if your run the 383. Look for an Alpha ss drive. That should last a little longer with the additional power. But they are hard to find.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

The boats are supposed to run 60mph with the stock 270hp motor. I was thinking it wouldn't take that much more power to push it towards 70. I know my 22' Stingray runs mid 60's with a stock 350mpi. This one here is supposed to run 75. It doesn't look like it has much hull in the water at those speeds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zWRD...eature=related

Those Alpha SS drives seem to be priced about the same as a Bravo drive and it seems the standard Alpha upper won't work with an SS lower so I would have to get the whole thing. Those SS drives look pretty cool though. I've never seen an outdrive that has a nosecone on it before. I'm going to keep an eye out for one over the winter.

Right now I'm in the parts-gathering phase. I hope to be able to get this boat wet next season.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Registered

I own one of these boats (89 CSS19) and it will do about 54-55mph with the stock 350 motor and the recommended 21 pitch laser II prop. Motors available from the factory during production were:

5.0 Mercruser
5.7 Mercruser (Optional SS prop)
350 Merc Magnum W/SS prop
231 DP Volvo/Penta
271 DP Volvo/Penta

I ended up putting on a 18 pitch stainless 4 blade prop on because the motor is set back so far it is hard to get the boat to plane with the recommended prop. I lost about 8mph but she leaps out of the water to plane or tow now.

If I was looking for a motor, I would possibly entertain the thought of a newer LS platform motor, preferably aluminum to lighten it up a bit.

Guess the best plan of attack would be to figure out what your end goal is and build it accordingly.

Good luck on the build and if you need pics for reference, let me know.