question about buying a boat >

question about buying a boat

Notices

question about buying a boat

Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about buying a boat

i have been looking to get into a bigger boat and found one one state over.i have been talking to the broker which works for a marina and sells.we have agreeed upon a price,and providing the boat sea trails,and is sound condition.i will accept the boat.well,here s where the deal throws up a red flag.first before i come up there to look at the boat the broker wants me to sign a purchess agreement and give him a cc# to show a good fath and "to keep the deakl moving forward.all i want to do is look at the boat.if it is what he says it is,and it runs and sea trails ok i will buy.this kind of dealing throws up a red flag.the agrement says that if i donot buy the boat by a certin date that i could lose my 1000.00 deposit.all i want to do is look at the boat and go from there.what do you guys,and grils thinh?thanks
Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered

I would not give them a dime. Look at it for free. Nevertheless, if you want to have a sea trial, they will most likely make you pay something. I had to pay $500 down for them to hold the boat. After I got approved for the loan, only then could I go on a sea trial. If I did not want the boat after the sea trial, then I could get all my money back. If you put money down for them to hold it, and get an approved loan, that shows a lot of effort on the buyer. If you are not happy with the sea trial, then you should be refunded something. Getting a loan for a large powerboat is like getting a home loan. It took a month to get approved. Good Luck. Don't sign anything until you are willing to try to get a loan.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

bc fountain,
Do Not Give this guy any money at all ...... You will be sorry later.. If this is a reputable dealer or sales person you do not need to give this person anything..to look or test drive.I sold new and used boats for years and never asked anyone for up-front money if I felt they were serious about buying..This guy should know if you are coming from another state to look you are serious... If the guy still wants up front money walk away from the deal !!!There are a lot of boats out there and times are tough..
Another note.... Do not agree on a price for the boat before you have seen it yourself and take some one who knows about boats with you ..Ask to have the boat surveyed before any money changes hands.... Beware of this guy.....Cavaet Emptor!!! Your not buying a $300.00 go cart........................Jim

Last edited by cigboat1; 09-29-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't sign the purchase agreement. Go look at it for free. If it looks good and they ask you to pay a deposit for a test ride then ask them to write up a contract for the test ride. Do $500, fully refunded if the test ride is not satisfactory. State in the contract what you would consider unsatisfactory (porpoise, mechanical failure, cracks in gelcoat, speed doesn't agree with stated speed, etc). Remember, its a buyers market.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a common practice to ask for a deposit before a sea trial thru a broker...he has to show the seller he has a real buyer vs somebody who just wants to go for a ride...no problem looking for free...but if you are serious about buying..give him a deposit, making sure you have it refundable if boat not what supposed to be..you can get out of a credit card charge if you cover your end...good luck..Rob
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
it is a common practice to ask for a deposit before a sea trial thru a broker...he has to show the seller he has a real buyer vs somebody who just wants to go for a ride...no problem looking for free...but if you are serious about buying..give him a deposit, making sure you have it refundable if boat not what supposed to be..you can get out of a credit card charge if you cover your end...good luck..Rob
X2

If you want him to take the boat off the market, then give him a fully refundable deposit pending sea trial and inspection.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

If you want him to take the boat off the market, then give him a fully refundable deposit pending sea trial and inspection.
x2

this was the deal when i looked at boats a few months back...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Cobra Power

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YOU DON'T say what kind of boat you want to buy o how big but of you like look at our web site and check what we got for sale if you like any you can come over look at the boat and go for a sea trial and do't cost you a penny call me and lets talk 305-893-5018 Alex at COBRA POWER
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

thanks for all the replys.its kinda what i was thinking,but wanted to be sure.i will not be using a bank or financing.it is a cash deal.the boat is a older fountain,10meter.we are talking between 15-22k price range,and yes,i know a older boat is going to be a project......its what i can afford and want.the boat is running,and of need of tlc.i am really looking for a little newer fountain 32-42ft range with,or without power.i have more parts and time than i have money,plus i already have a running fountain.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a brokerage boat you have to give a deposit. And it's not 500 bucks. It's 10% of the selling price that is negotiated pending inspection and sea trial. If you want wait and negotiate it after you look at it. If you want to "hold" it then put the depo up subject to your satifactory inspection. Is this broker a member of YBAA? or some podunk guy?

If it's their boat then go look at. If you're serious a good dealership should take you for a quick spin. You're a cash buyer it's easy.