winterize or bilge heater >

winterize or bilge heater

Notices

winterize or bilge heater

Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterize or bilge heater

I will periodically use the bosght throught the Winter (except January and February). Is it necessary to winterize or can I get away with a bilge heater and running the boat once or twice a month?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using bilge heaters for the past 4 years. It has been working great for me. But ....... I keep a generator and a 5 gallon container of treated gas nearby just in case I loose electricity for whatever reason.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

That would depend on where you live????
Old 10-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
That would depend on where you live????
It sounds like you will still be able to use the boat through the winter? I keep mine in a heated building, but I always drain everything just in case I loose heat. It's worth the hour or so of work just for piece of mind.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run mine on 12v and have the battery tender plugged in to the AC, with 3 850 amp batteries even if I loose AC power it will run more than long enough for me to get down to the slip and work something else out.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm in VA and I do both. If a scenario crops up where we lose power for a couple days I don't want to be worried about it. Also - winterizing/pickeling with anti-freeze provides all the corrosion inhibition you can ask for.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Registered

Me , being in the engine rebuild world, why would you ever risk it. I see it time after time every year. IF THERE AINT NO WATER IN ENGINES IT CANT DO ANY DAMAGE.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered

I am in Texas and there are quite a few nice days in December and even January but February is a biznooch most of the month. It would be in an enclosed building but not heated. I am not sure how familiar you may be with the 32 Fountain engine compartment but let me just say there is not enough room to install a couch...hence the question about just a bilge heater and not standing on my head for an hour or so after each use in the colder months.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Flapjack
I am in Texas and there are quite a few nice days in December and even January but February is a biznooch most of the month. It would be in an enclosed building but not heated. I am not sure how familiar you may be with the 32 Fountain engine compartment but let me just say there is not enough room to install a couch...hence the question about just a bilge heater and not standing on my head for an hour or so after each use in the colder months.
Thanks for the replies.
Working at a Fountain dealer, I know exactly what you mean. However, let me offer that pulling a motor out of one of those bad boys (after it freezes) is even less fun.

If you really don't like all of the contortions required to properly winterize them, all you need is a kid to help you. My son fits in places I haven't fit into for years. He comes in real handy this time of year - with lot's of supervision I might add.