Aluminum Blocks?

Notices

Aluminum Blocks?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larby
Hi Jon!!

Fireboat - The idea was to go to a lighter motor, and therefore not need so much power, so the drive would live longer. I figured with a lighter engine, I could drop to 450-500hp, much closer to the suggested hp of the bravo.

By the sounds of things, the weight difference isn't enough to warrant it though.

James

What does a 25' boat with a single BBC weigh? 5800-6200lbs?

You're talking about saving approximately 200-300 lbs. or about 5% of the total weight of the boat. For that weight savings you were approximating a 100hp difference, or approximately 17% less Hp (100 less Hp from a 600 hp motor). It doesn't seem to be a benefit to me.

The above measurements also do not factor in the enormous amount of torque that you're going to lose, or the advantage that I believe you would get from running a larger prop.

As long as you can afford to rig it, your best bet seems to be the BBC with a built up drive.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me that the money spent on building a complete new engine, plus the re-rigging would cover the cost of the improvements to the drive system. I think that building the engine to meet the low capabilities of the drive instead of building the drive to meet the requirements of the engine is kinda backwards isn't it? Besides I thought you where serious on the blower thing and we are racing or not? Even a 600hp SBC isn't comparing to a 600hp BBC with the loss of torque. Sorry, just my 2cts, maybe I'm the one thats backwards? I coulda just saved myself about 60 grand but I doubt if I be going anywhere near the speeds I'm hiting now with my old Bravos and some built small blocks, food for thought.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I totally see where you're coming from, it was just an idea I had. When you put it into context of how little weight difference it'll make I can see where you're coming from.

And let's face it, there's not much cooler than a supercharged BBC!!

Cheers, James