Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Scarab III running 3000 rpm max? >

Scarab III running 3000 rpm max?

Notices

Scarab III running 3000 rpm max?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rookie, yes your right. Either my tachs are off or my TRSs are not 1.5. I will verify the tachs again, but it seems odd they would both be off and I don't know how they could be set wrong but again I have never had them out so i'll check that. Is it possible the TRSs are NOT 1.5? The trannys are 1.1 but I have been told the ratio change is in the drive itself.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smugglers blues
Rookie, yes your right. Either my tachs are off or my TRSs are not 1.5. I will verify the tachs again, but it seems odd they would both be off and I don't know how they could be set wrong but again I have never had them out so i'll check that. Is it possible the TRSs are NOT 1.5? The trannys are 1.1 but I have been told the ratio change is in the drive itself.
9X% of these drives are going to be 1.50. You can check the drive reduction ratio by rotating the drive one revolution and checking the amount that the prop or prop shaft revolves, or, unless it has worn off, I believe that Mercruiser use to mark the TRS drive ratios on the right side of the rear cap as you face the drive from the back of the boat. That's really the only way you can be 100% positive about your final gear reduction.

Where do you get your prop pitch #'s from? Are they actually stamped on the prop? Like I said, ninety something percent of the TRS drives are going to be a 1.50 ratio. You're torn between drive ratio, tachs, and props... Chances are very good that it's not the drive ratio.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered

yep, the props are stamped 23p,
Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by smugglers blues
The only TRS ratios that you could have is 1.5 the majority and 2.0 which would make your #'s even worse.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hook up a timing light and read the rpm from that. There may be a switch on the back of your gauges set to the wrong position?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

That's where I was going with my earlier questions on the tachs accuracy. Anyway, there ttypically are dip switches on the back of tachs for 4cly, 6cyl and 8 cylinder applications. If it was set on 6 cylinder, the actual rpm would be 4500 with an 8 cyl. If set on 4 cyl, your actual would be 6000rpm when reading 3000rpm on an 8 cyl. They are probably set on 6 cyl.

Of course it may be the other way around, I didn't think about it too much. But it is worth verifying anyway.

Last edited by blue thunder; 10-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Default update

Thought I would update everyone, my Hardin Marine Tachs have a dial on the back with setting 1-4. I had to look up how this worked from Hardin's website and it says 3 is for 8 cyl. My tachs were set on 4 which is for 12 (palt). I don't know what palt stands for but I know thats not the right setting! Nonetheless, my tachs were wrong. Now that I plug it into the calculator it seems like I have alot of slippage? I think this boat should run around 60 with the right props? More bite? 24p?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Registered

Any body know about solid hub trs cleavers?