Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Leak from around TRS housing into boat. >

Leak from around TRS housing into boat.

Notices

Leak from around TRS housing into boat.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak from around TRS housing into boat.

Put the boat in from lift this summer and noticed water leaking into engime comp. from around the the drive/gimble in one spot. Does the engine have to come out to fix this? I see the cork gasket on the outside, how do I replace it? Tried search but no ggod.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It's probably the driveshaft bellow. The rubber boot you can see when the drive is trimmed up while looking into the outer transom assembly. The boots are rubber, get old, and crack. You do not need to remove engine to replace.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It could also be the pivot pin seal.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered

I will check. The bellow is only two years old and the last time it broke, the u joint gave up the ghost. The boat, being a TRS not Bravo, did not leak as the transmission seals against the back. The leak in the inside is from the outside of the inside housing.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a cork gasket between the housing and transom. But I've seen more leaks due to flexing/rotted transoms than failed gaskets.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Registered

Default tr/trs gimbal leak

The tr/trs suffers from a minor design flaw. At the bottom of the gimbal housing, the actual horizontal bearing surface for the gasket is extremely narrow. The gasket extands quite a bit above the bearing surface.....creating a "pocket", if any fluid is in the bilge, it inevitably fills the "pocket", which in turn eventually penetrates the cork. Put into conjunction the fact that the vast majority of "load" is against the lower bearing surface and the realization will come to mind that they will "all" develop a leak eventually.
The "cure" is simple. upon implementing repairs, simply put a bead of Boatlife Lifecaulk (polysulfide thiocol) on "both" sides of the cork, which creates a virtual torque dampener. Lifecaulk remains pliable and pretty much cures the inherent faulty design.
No need to pull the engine; but thats another chapter.