Exhaust Headers / 525 Mercury Racing Engines >

Exhaust Headers / 525 Mercury Racing Engines

Notices

Exhaust Headers / 525 Mercury Racing Engines

Old 10-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
We can repair the ones you currently have. This has been a well known problem of the 525's since they came out.
If you repair the four Header, won't they crack somewhere else? I would repair them in a minute if they would last a while. Thanks, let me know.
ROCKER DOWN
Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

CMI also has the Gen X header that will fit the 525. You won't have the same problems with them like you and everyone else had with the original 525 headers. Merc had CMI build them to their spec (read: cheap). They apparantly not only used a cheaper stainless, but also neglected to heat treat them. The Gen X is made by CMI to their specs, so you won't have the same problems. I have used every model of CMI's for years and have never had a problem with any of them. The 525 headers are the only ones, just because Merc wanted to save a few bucks. Gotta love it.
Eddie
Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
CMI also has the Gen X header that will fit the 525. You won't have the same problems with them like you and everyone else had with the original 525 headers. Merc had CMI build them to their spec (read: cheap). They apparantly not only used a cheaper stainless, but also neglected to heat treat them. The Gen X is made by CMI to their specs, so you won't have the same problems. I have used every model of CMI's for years and have never had a problem with any of them. The 525 headers are the only ones, just because Merc wanted to save a few bucks. Gotta love it.
Eddie
Eddie
It was much more than a few bucks! While you are spot on with what they saved on the headers build prices being negligible.
Think of all the money earned selling parts and rejecting/voiding warranty's. This saved Mercury Racing Millions of dollars in warranty work and sold even more in parts!

Not my way of making a living but it appears to work for them.
Steve
Old 10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to think an aftermarket motor in a boat has less resale! Personally I'd rather have a Young, Chief,Teague or Zul than Mercury. But the neophite idiots are where they make thier money. Don't get me wrong, Merc has done a great job revolutionizing the marine industry. They are part of a corporation and the bean counters justify thier jobs by saving the company money, they are in the bussiness to sell parts!............................................ Rjr.................................
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

The 525 headers are the only ones, just because Merc wanted to save a few bucks. Gotta love it.
Eddie
But CMI built them anyway...Merc wasn't the only ones putting the screws to customers.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Eddie
I assume we are talking about the 525 EFI headers. I have a pair of 525SC's that have the original headers but have never had any issues since new. Did and of these problems occur in the SC's headers? They are very similar. Just curious if i should be aware of anything. Anyone know if these were the same or different headers? Thanks all.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
But CMI built them anyway...Merc wasn't the only ones putting the screws to customers.
CMI could have refused to build them to Merc specs, but would probably have lost the Merc contract. Tough decision, but I think that the majority of us would have built them if placed in the same situation. If you are a header manufacturer, and Mercury comes knocking on your door........ How do you say no?

Last edited by pm203; 10-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I just my CMI back to the factory last month. They had 200 hours on them. CMI will test, seal, repair (if they can) and polish them out for you if you give them $150 per side plus shipping. It is cheap insurance. They can fix problems if the are just starting to develop. I hightly recomend it every 200 for the first check and 100 after that.

They come back like this!
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Headers / 525 Mercury Racing Engines-jewelry2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
CMI could have refused to build them to Merc specs, but would probably have lost the Merc contract. Tough decision, but I think that the majority of us would have built them if placed in the same situation.
Not me, I'm in the building business...I turn down work because it's been spec'd to a level that will fail eventually. Right now I'm booked longer than I ever have because of the the way I conduct business.

Originally Posted by pm203
If you are a header manufacturer, and Mercury comes knocking on your door........ How do you say no?
Integrity?

Last edited by Indy; 10-30-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, when the almighty dollar is involved some outfits have no integrity. Its a real shame........................................Rjr.. .........................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.