electric fuel pump failures???? >

electric fuel pump failures????

Notices

electric fuel pump failures????

Old 05-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy electric fuel pump failures????

I run a Holley "black" marine pump with a Holley regulator. It's mounted down in the center pod of my cat. The bottom of the pump itself is about 2 inches lower then the top of the fuel tank. About as low as I can get it. Pump heated up and died weekend before last after about 25 hours. Kept good fuel pressure (6 pounds until this point) Happened to have my red pump with me, tossed that on and ran the rest of the weekend. Put a new black pump on Thursday. Launched from Windsor ramp in Havasu, went around the island. Cranked it up a little to 92 for grins. Got in the channel and it died. No fuel. Pumps hot as hell. Put the red one back on and ran the rest of the weekend. Only problem is this red pump only has 5 pounds pressure and won't hold a sustained high rpm blast. It's got me baffled, it has -8 lines to IMCO valve, Teague filter assembly, pump, regulator then to 2 750's. Any input?????
Old 05-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this larger pump need a bypass line from the regulator back to the tank to bleed off any access fuel pressure? Just thinking that the pump may always be under high pressure, whether the fuel is needed or not. With the smaller volume pump, you may be using all the fuel it can pump, so it's not building up any unneeded pressure, thus why it works fine.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Registered

No, the pump is designed to use a dead head regulator. Your thinking though is along the same lines as mine. The one thing I haven't changed is the regulator. Maybe it's not flowing enough fuel for some reason and the higher volume pump can't take the constant dead head. I'd run a return line system, but I'd have to buy a whole new IMCO valve, the one that directs the fuel back to the correct tank since I have a tank in each sponson.

Craig
Old 05-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Registered

mltdwn12,

The failure could have been caused by to much current draw from the pump. and the wire feeding the fuel pump is to small to carry the extra load. does the fuel pump have a fuse to protect it from burning out ?

Just something else to consider

JDELO
Old 05-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Pop the end cap off to see if there is any corrision inside. Just be sure to catch the bushings when they pop out. As to putting it back together, theres an easy way and a hard way. I sure wish I could remember how to put it back together the easy way...it had to do with the order that you slipped the parts back together...I think you slide the armature into the end cap first and then slide the assembly into the body...yea, I think thats it.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:55 PM
Registered

First problem is it is a Holley !

I went thru these problems on my old race car. I think I went thru 3-4 Holleys and when they weren't dying they were noisy as hell !

I run the Mallory Comp140 pump on my boat , it is quiet and has the most pressure/flow for a pump without a return line. It has been fine for my 675hp 540.
$240 with a regulator.
Or you can spend big bucks for a Weldon or Barry Grant but I think most of those require a return line.
Throw the Holley stuff away !
Old 05-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Doh, thats right. My pumps are Mallorys. Still wouldn't hurt to check for some corrosion though...
Old 05-14-2002, 09:34 AM
Registered

In my experience most electric pumps fail because they're too high or too far from the fuel tank. They push but dont pull fuel well and work too hard when trying to draw fuel out of the tank. See if you can remount it below the level of the bottom of the tank as close as possible to the pickup. Also be sure to use a large filter or fuel water separator between the tank and pump.
BTW, I also have always used Mallory pumps, very happy with them.
Gary
Old 05-14-2002, 03:01 PM
HavasuCat

Craig,

I switched from a Holley to a Aeromotive when I was having problems sustaining pressure. The Aeromotive has worked much better.

Old 05-15-2002, 03:32 PM
INCOGNITO

Default HOLLEY PUMPS

I HAVE 2 HOLLEY BLACK PUMPS MOUNTED IN MY BOAT AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM YET(KNOCK ON WOOD).I HAVE SEPERATE FUEL TANKS 1 IN EACH SPONSON FEEDING MY FILTER/SEPERATOR DUAL INLET/DUAL OUTLET WITH MANUAL SHUT OFF VALVES THEY ARE FED INDIVIDUALLY FROM THE FILTER AND THEN TEE INTO A #10 LINE THAT GOES INTO A B/G 4 PORT REGULATOR THAT FEEDS DUAL DOMINATORS ..GOT PRESSURE SET AT 7PSI AND STAYS THERE THROUGHOUT RPM RANGE-REGARDLESS IF I HAVE 1 OR 2 PUMPS RUNNING..SO FAR SO GOOD..