Gas Tank Repair Options >

Gas Tank Repair Options

Notices

Gas Tank Repair Options

Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas Tank Repair Options

I have a steady leak from the tank bottom area. I searched but discussion seems limited to simple removal and replacement for all repairs. Are there reliable membranous coatings or bladder installation repairs that can be done with the tank still installed? The marina claims extensive dismantling of my helm and cutting up the deck and estimates 50 hours just in labor for removal and replacement.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Mintish Panther
I have a steady leak from the tank bottom area. I searched but discussion seems limited to simple removal and replacement for all repairs. Are there reliable membranous coatings or bladder installation repairs that can be done with the tank still installed? The marina claims extensive dismantling of my helm and cutting up the deck and estimates 50 hours just in labor for removal and replacement.
post pics of your floor..some boats had a center pannel that was removeable..most replace the whole tank,,if indeed you have to do 50 hrs worth of work and you fix the old tank and it leaks again do you want to pay for another 50 hrs worth of work to repair it again??spend the extra cash and get a new tank..depends on what needs to be donebut if it has a removeable panel then 50 hrs sounds like allot of time,,you may want to get another quoat..

Last edited by FIXX; 11-06-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If panther is refering to wellcraft... be prepared, as when the tank comes out, it may need bulkhead and stringer work.

This thread has some piks of what may be involved..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ere-we-go.html
Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree, all anyone thinks on any of the boating websites is replacement. That would be the best and safest but I would think there must be alternatives. A new smaller tank in a new location. A gas tank renu type repair without having to remove. Somehow installing a bladder in the existing tank. There are options that would be worth a try. Replacement as a last resort.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Bladders only last so long and would need to be replaced again in the future. Probably 3-5 years.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I agree, all anyone thinks on any of the boating websites is replacement. That would be the best and safest but I would think there must be alternatives. A new smaller tank in a new location. A gas tank renu type repair without having to remove. Somehow installing a bladder in the existing tank. There are options that would be worth a try. Replacement as a last resort.
A car or a truck, hell even an airplane is one thing... gas vapors build up in bilges, every year we see fresh piks of boats that went kaboom. bladders would probably cost as much as the tank replacement and only last a couple years. you could coat the inside with the latest greatest bubble gum, but if the tank has a crack, that crack is just going to grow untill it eventually fails. In my mind, unintended major explosions just aren't something to gamble with by penny pinching. If a motor or drive gives up, no big deal, just have to fix it.. if the interior or paint looks faded and dated, the boat still works. If the boat goes boom, kills you, the wife and kids and takes out the dock, that just isn't as easily rebuilt.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You have to replace it. Sorry.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you only have 3, replace the tank, put it to pasture, sell it...it's a bomb waiting to go boom...

Last edited by ezstriper; 11-07-2010 at 05:47 PM.