Notices

525 headers

Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 headers

I know this has been discussed enough, however, is there a year in which merc changed the header on the 525 motors so as not to have any problems with cracking? Most manufactures do updates all the time as they see things fail in the field. Secondly, if you have 525 motors, should you just chuck the headers and replace them before they cause any motor problem?
thanks
Old 11-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe it was 04. As far as I know, if the outer tube goes all the way to the flange, it is the old style. If the outer tube does not go all the way to the flange and stops short and is welded to the inner tube, then it is the newer version.
About the same time, they also changed the head bolts and gaskets. The older ones had GM head bolts and gaskets and the newer ones have ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets. Hope this helps.
Eddie
Old 11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I believe it was 04. As far as I know, if the outer tube goes all the way to the flange, it is the old style. If the outer tube does not go all the way to the flange and stops short and is welded to the inner tube, then it is the newer version.
About the same time, they also changed the head bolts and gaskets. The older ones had GM head bolts and gaskets and the newer ones have ARP head bolts and Cometic head gaskets. Hope this helps.
Eddie
If that's the case, I think I have the newer style. Can you tell from this pick? Looks like the outer tubes stop before the flange.
Attached Thumbnails 525 headers-cmi.jpg   525 headers-cmi2.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by Dave M
If that's the case, I think I have the newer style. Can you tell from this pick? Looks like the outer tubes stop before the flange.
your safe,those are the newer ones. but they still crack and when they do it sounds like a leaking header gasket..