audio experts please help >

audio experts please help

Notices

audio experts please help

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW way, the pdx-4 is not a marine amp and if used in the saltwaterenviroment , it will not last.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The Alpine digital thing is just marketing b.s. All the signals that come out of an alpine or any "mobile" stereo are analog. If it was digital you would either use a fiber optic cable "toslink" or a single digital 75 ohm "rca" cable.

The Alpine amps are class D analog, put a digital signal to a speaker and you'll get no output. It must be analog. There are some digtial paths in some of this equipment most likely only in the head unit but any CD player is going to have a digital signal path until it goes to the D/A converter. Other than that its a waste, to convert from analog to digital and then back to analog. The more converting the lower quality the sound will be.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

just get a good 6 channel amp with a 2 channel low crossover and be done with, run anything you want.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hadleycat
I just picked up a alpine head unit and a pdx -f4 4 channel amp. I am going to power 4 6.5" speakers with this set up. Then I remembered that I have 2 bose 6" subwoofers sitting in my basement collecting dust. Can I connect these 2 directly to the head unit and power them off the internal amplifier.
well i have been thinkin about it and im gonna scrap the bose idea. What im thinkin about is buying 4 alpine 7" speakers to hook up to the amp and that will be my system. Was lookin at the JL speakers but man they are double the cost of the alpines
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

well i have been thinkin about it and im gonna scrap the bose idea. What im thinkin about is buying 4 alpine 7" speakers to hook up to the amp and that will be my system. Was lookin at the JL speakers but man they are double the cost of the alpines
I did the 7" alpines. bought them from sonix electronics. great prices and fast shipping.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

How many speakers are you going to run off the pdx amp??? You could run 4 of speakers off of 2 channels on the amp and then run the woofers off of the other 2 channels.

The amp is fine at 2 ohms and it will be fine for marine use.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
How many speakers are you going to run off the pdx amp??? You could run 4 of speakers off of 2 channels on the amp and then run the woofers off of the other 2 channels.

The amp is fine at 2 ohms and it will be fine for marine use.
im thinkin of runnin 4 alpine 7" speakers off of the pdx amp. Ive mounted the amp in the cabin not worried about water
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Do as Griff said and then get a pair of Boston Acoustic G3 10" subs, you can run these in either 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono.... I promise you there better than Alpine subs and equal to JL Audio. IMO Alpine makes great head units, pretty good amps, but there speakers are just OK when compared to other high end stuff. If they sound good to you thats all that matters but I really think you would like the Boston Acoustic stuff better.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Do as Griff said and then get a pair of Boston Acoustic G3 10" subs, you can run these in either 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono.... I promise you there better than Alpine subs and equal to JL Audio. IMO Alpine makes great head units, pretty good amps, but there speakers are just OK when compared to other high end stuff. If they sound good to you thats all that matters but I really think you would like the Boston Acoustic stuff better.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle
As long as you don't get the Boston Acoustic G3 10" subs wet. They are not marine speakers. I put non-marine woofers in a boat a long time ago. They did not last. The humidity killed them in 3 years.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

im thinkin of runnin 4 alpine 7" speakers off of the pdx amp. Ive mounted the amp in the cabin not worried about water
I would just run them off the amp that you have then.
If you want to add subs later, then get a PDX sub amp.

I have 2 Alpine 10" Marine subs and they sound just as good as the JL marine subs for less than half the cost. I also run 8 DC Gold speakers off of a PDX 4.150.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.