Labor Cost on Changing Valve Springs >

Labor Cost on Changing Valve Springs

Notices

Labor Cost on Changing Valve Springs

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor Cost on Changing Valve Springs

I am planning on having the valve springs replaced on my HP500s carbed (225 Hours), and I am curious what kind of labor per engine I will be looking at being billed (hours wise)? I have a good mechanic that normally works on the boat, but I have also been stuck with very large bills following service, as I haven't negotiated the cost before the work has been completed. This time I want to know a ballpark on labor hours I will be looking at being charged on this job? I also don't want any surprises when I get the bill 4 months later (they are a little slow on their billing)

Lastly, based on everything I have read, the Isky 8005 SP is the way to go? Best value for the money?

Thanks for the help!

Blake
Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going to depend on a couple of things...going to be tuff with twins in there...may end up having to pull manifolds to get in there to compress the valve springs. what style manifolds..how long have they been on, salt water etc..not going to be fun..guessing 5-8 hours per engine, and that's real rough...Rob
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

I've always pulled the heads to replace springs cause the spring compressor will not fit through the spark plug hole.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by waterboy222; 12-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

It really depends on the room in the boat. Some are just easier to pull out and do the work on the ground. It can end up taking more time to do them in the boat instead of taking them out. They shouldn't charge more than about 5 hours each to pull the engines and drives.
I would not only change the springs. Change out the retainers and locks to 10* models instead of the 7* that it comes with. They are only a few dollars more. I would also change the valve stem seals while you are there. It's cheap insurance. You will have about $300 in parts per engine if you are changing the above parts that I mentioned.
If they are on the ground, you are looking at about 5 hours each to remove the exhaust and valve covers, change the springs, retainers, locks and seals, set the valves, and put the covers and exhaust back on.
Eddie
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced the valve springs on both engines in my 311 with the motors in the boat.Pulled the manifolds and spark plugs to put clothesline into each cylinder to hold the valves up during the swap.The time to do each engine including setting ignition timing was 12 hours,but I'm old,a younger guy could probably do it in 10.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bunky1957
I replaced the valve springs on both engines in my 311 with the motors in the boat.Pulled the manifolds and spark plugs to put clothesline into each cylinder to hold the valves up during the swap.The time to do each engine including setting ignition timing was 12 hours,but I'm old,a younger guy could probably do it in 10.
You can fill the cylinder with compressed air to hold the valves up while swapping springs.

I agree with doing new retainers, locks, and seals while you are in there.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
My bad... I did not mean to be smarty on that.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It really depends on the room in the boat. Some are just easier to pull out and do the work on the ground. It can end up taking more time to do them in the boat instead of taking them out. They shouldn't charge more than about 5 hours each to pull the engines and drives.
I would not only change the springs. Change out the retainers and locks to 10* models instead of the 7* that it comes with. They are only a few dollars more. I would also change the valve stem seals while you are there. It's cheap insurance. You will have about $300 in parts per engine if you are changing the above parts that I mentioned.
If they are on the ground, you are looking at about 5 hours each to remove the exhaust and valve covers, change the springs, retainers, locks and seals, set the valves, and put the covers and exhaust back on.
Eddie
Do you have part numbers for the additional parts that you recommend I change out?

Also, You say 5 hours per side if they are on the ground, what do you think a total would be for them to charge, as for removing engines, completing the work, and putting the engines back and setting up?

Thanks for the info!

Blake
Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I use retainers and locks from Competition Cams for your application.
The retainers are 740-16 (about $55.00), locks 612-16 (about $25.00). The seals I use are a fluoroelastomer seal with a steel jacket. I don't care for the PC teflon seals. The seals I use run $32.00 per set.
As far as labor, you are looking at 5-6 hours per side to pull the engine and drive. The labor to pull the exhaust, valve covers, swap the springs, retainers, seals and locks, adjust the valves and replace the covers and exhaust should run about 5-6 hours per engine. Total for a twin engine should run 20-24 hours of labor, plus parts. Hope this helps.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.