Notices

XR Damage

Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCX price

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
SD I don't disagree with your basic premise about the Arn. vs. SCX however the completed SCX can be had for 14. You need only the SCX Helmet (950), a bigger oil reservoir (200) to install on a bravo hd transom.
Is that $14K for a new or a used SCX?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Check out Diamond performances add in the classifieds.... 13.5 thousand new, I'm figuring somewhere around 300 for shipping. You should know that most are using SC lowers instead of the SCX lower which is a hydrodynamic pig....
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered

Default Hold On..

SD I don't disagree with your basic premise about the Arn. vs. SCX however the completed SCX can be had for 14. You need only the SCX Helmet (950), a bigger oil reservoir (200) to install on a bravo hd transom. No need to pull motors or do any glasswork. I was quoted 23/side for the ASD set up and it would require fiberglass work on the transom. Also propellers and testing are a major factor in cost. In my application the arneson would be a 60 K upgrade with labor since can't do it myself. The SCX about half that. If I sell my rig I can stick the XR's on there and sell the SCX and recoup some of my investment. The arneson is superior by far. But is too expensive for me.
I'm following your logic one piece at a time. Not to be argumentative but this is exactly why I was singing. And THANKS for your input and additional help but - -- - -

I knew the SCX could be had for less than my quote. But so can the ASD-6 by at least a couple 2 - 3 K in this market with cash etc.

But with the SCX Helmet at 900 and the oil bottle at 300, are you forgetting about that 1K HD gimbal ring. Would you hang that nice azz SCX on a chitty bravo ring even if it does fit which according to Imco I would still need it? Remember that I don't have an HD transom assembly now. I have the basic one..

Further, I have no interest in putting an SCX on a Merc transom where I will then need to purchase and install separately, all their steering crap cause it won't work with my system without major custom fab etc.

I just counted 12 below-the-waterline holes in my boat that need to be filled. 4 for the thru-hull Latham steering lines and 8 holes for the four-hole ram brackets on the boat.

Latham and Imco do NOT line up so in order to make the steering happen for me I still need to pull engine and buy the full Imco transom to get all the steering hardware etc. Latham supports all bravo and trs stuff. To my knowledge nothing Latham will work with Imco. HUGE cost right there!

I'm not saying yet that the ASD-6 has a price tag that is for sure cheaper than putting SCX on my boat but there is no way I'm that far off.

I don't know. I see you're point but I have to respectfully disagree. Thus far.

Where I start falling off is when you consider there is some (how much?) additional glass work to fill part of the notch in my boat AND the prop is expensive.

You can rent the expensive stuff from BBlades and buy what works so it's not as if I need to buy a bunch of props.

I think in my case, the SCX is not very much cheaper than doing it right the first time. If nothing else, the SCX is not a lifetime product. Still have gears (very, very expensive ones). Still have to 90 degree sections. Still have repairs and replacement maintenance...

If you really look at the whole picture it's easier I think to see it. Guys get turned off by the price of ASD cause initially it seems WAY, WAY out there but in reality, they've priced it as high as they could go and still make it work.

I know just a little of your history and if anyone understands supply and demand on here it's you.

Last edited by SDFever; 12-19-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Check out Diamond performances add in the classifieds.... 13.5 thousand new, I'm figuring somewhere around 300 for shipping. You should know that most are using SC lowers instead of the SCX lower which is a hydrodynamic pig....
for 13.5 K, is that for just the upper or do you get that nasty lower that you have to sell and come up with the lower?

Possibly a shortie and step it down while "you're in there"...

See where I'm goin?

I'm nutz.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Fairly certain that my six line items still hold. Especially number 6 which is a deal killer.

By the time I hang it on the boat, I'm still at minimum 16K but probably at least 7+ mph slower. Arneson is really not more expensive. It's just a big deal to do all of this no matter what it costs. No easy way out which goes back to my crappy choices I was barking about in the very first part of all this.

Last edited by SDFever; 12-19-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gunner
how much power does the scx rob over the xr
I was quoted in the neighborhood of 90 - 100 hp.

Even if it's only 40 hp loss, you're paying a chit load of money to go slower.

So now do you upgrade your upgraded engine or ????

Tellin' ya - the ASD-6 is not that much if they will work with you a little.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered

SD good luck with your project, it sounds like you are making a good decision with your boat. Post some pictures when your done.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Registered

SD good luck with your project, it sounds like you are making a good decision with your boat. Post some pictures when your done.
I need more than luck. Thanks! What did you do with your carwash property?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

You must have me confused with someone else. No carwashes, I am a Dentist.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Registered

No carwashes ever, must have me confused with someone else. I am a Dentist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.